[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: irritable bowel syndrome

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tmnelson0555@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 07:11:36 EDT

Hi Toni,

Sorry to hear about your gal:(

Try this; go get some canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix, plain canned
pumpkin), and add a few tablespoons to every meal.

Plain mashed potato flakes, sprinkled dry on top of her food will also work
wonders w/ absorbing some of the excess water in her intestines and help w/
the  diarrhea too.  (PLAIN, not the mix w/ butter, cheese etc.)

I would also get some Bene-bac powder to put beneficial bacteria back into
her GI tract.  The trouble w/ the antibiotics prescribed is that they will
kill all of the bugs, good and bad, then when you take her off of them, they'll

come back w/ a vengeance and she'll be prone to experience SIBO  (small
intestine bacteria overgrowth) and you'll start the whole roller  coaster ride
again.

I'm am also a big believer in fasting a dog who has diarrhea for a day to
let their belly heal.  Who wants to eat when they have a sick belly?   Yet a
lot
of our dogs will.

Here's a link for the Bene-bac:

_http://www.jbpet.com/Bene-Bac-Powder,659.html_
(http://www.jbpet.com/Bene-Bac-Powder,659.html)

The powder is fairly new and seems to be more economical than the paste
(which I've kept on hand and loved for ages!) There are a number of sources,
but
be sure to get the kind for dogs, not the one for birds or reptiles.

Good luck:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 5/30/2008 10:41:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tmnelson0555@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

My  almost 9 year old bitch (spayed) is being treated for IBD.  We have
done tests - blood, stool, urine and the only bad result was low blood
protein.  She is on 20 ml prednisone twice daily, 500 ml  Metronidazole
twice daily, Fortiflora once daily, and at this point 2  pepto tabs 3
times a day.  She is also on a low residue diet.   She still has mostly
uncontrolled diarhea.  I asked my vet if he  minded my consulting all you
folks on the list, and he said absolutely go  for it.  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.  I really would  like to keep her around for a
while longer.  She is my alpha bitch  (most of the time) and the best
baby-sitter dog here at the  house.

Toni  Nelson

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.