[ SHOWGSD-L ] inside/outside rescues

  • From: Tindrock1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:33:21 EDT

I can see both sides of a breeder keeping dogs inside or outside.   When
you have a lot of dogs, it is difficult to keep them all housed  indoors.  I
have a kennel building now, but since I typically only have 6  dogs at a
time, I keep most of them in the house, and one or two in the garage  when they
are not outside in their paddocks.  I just like keeping them as  close to me
as possible.  But that is not possible with a lot of dogs, and  having a
nice kennel building with suitable runs will keep them safe from the
elements.  When I used to kennel my dogs, I made sure they had plenty of  'me'
time
and I will admit that took a lot of time and when I wasn't  working, I was
with the dogs.  That pretty much is still my life.   Now, recently, I placed
3 of my older adults, including a beautiful champion  bitch that I wasn't
able to get pregnant.  In those situations I only place  them where they will
be house dogs so they get the attention they deserve.   I am patient to wait
for those types of situations.  But recently, and I  must thank Suzanne
Kinman for these leads, one of my bitches (with 2 majors)  went to Colorado
where the new owners love her and are going to finish her, not  that that was
my requirement.  I just wanted her to have a good home  (couldn't get her
pregnant either).  These folks don't have a lot of dogs  and are able to give
her the attention she deserves.  Another champion  bitch went last weekend to
a widow who had just lost her 14 year old GSD, so  mine is the sole dog of
this individual, and I must say is getting very  spoiled.  This bitch
immediately caught on to the 'laying on the couch' and  sleeping on the bed
with
her new owner routine.  This amazes me but she  know a good thing when she
sees it.  The new owner now brings her food to  her on the couch; spoiled,
spoiled, spoiled.  But she has 1/2 acre fully  fenced for her when she is not
laying on the couch, so I know she will get the  exercise she needs; either
that or she will get really fat.  Anyhow,  I  think it is a good thing for a
rescue organization to require that a  rescue become a house dog.  Many of
these rescues have one issue or another  and need the closeness of a family
to bond with.  That's my 2 cents on the  subject.  Cheryl Olson/Tindrock
(who, by the way is expecting puppies out  of the dam of those 2 bitches I
recently placed that haven't been able to  conceive.  Go figure).