[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: infared heating lamps

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:44:21 -0800

On Dec 12, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Stormy Hope wrote:

Well, ... (some knew this was coming... LOL), The ARs insist on
heating in the kennels when the temp drops below 50º and air
conditioning when the temp rises about 85º.  That's what they want in
the regulations.   And for ALL dogs to have inside/outside access at
all times.  And the one size does NOT fit all in this, because I do
believe those regs would work with the Chinese Crested dogs or Smooth
Coat Chihuahuas :-)

I have always worried (even thought the dogs have inside/outside
access) when the INSIDE gets below 45º and I know that's really kind
of silly.  They have igloos inside and use them, and are ALWAYS
outside (15-17º) when I get up in the A.M. to start feeding, etc.
After feeding, they run back outside and stay there for an hour or so,
playing and messing around.  Then come in, get in their igloos (thank
you, Liz!!!) and go to sleep for a couple of hours.  They aren't
coats, nor have a really thick coat.  In fact, YO'S tummy was shaved
for his surgery a month or so ago.

I think we keep forgetting they are DOGS!   :-)

Stormy Hope

On Dec 12, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Denise Williams wrote:

Which leads me to ask, when is cold too cold? For a litter or adults.
I finally
have the dogs in an enclosed room apart from the house.  It didn't
seem as cold
as the outside to me, but I had a snowsuit on.  I'm leaving one of the
water
buckets in the room to see if it freezes.  I'm thinking maybe I should
get a
heater for them? All dogs are 3 mos or older, but the youngest comes
in with me
at night.

Denise WilliamsChopper, Chase, Phoenix and Flare

http://www.showgermanshepherds.info
for show and performance