[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: inexcusable dog attack

  • From: "Jen Proud" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "proudk9@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 20:14:26 -0500

> Too bad there isn't a band on folks who have owned dogs that have committed
> these kind of crimes from ever owning another dog.
> Terry

Actually, in some states (Georgia & Wisconsin being two of them I know of), if
a person is convicted of a cruelty to animals charge (regardless if misdemeanor
or felony) the judge may opt to require the person to not be allowed to own -or
even sometimes to handle others'- x type of animals, and some times none
allowed at all.
Britain just passed new more severe penalty laws over this very situation-
people can now spend up to 14 years in prison there if their dog maims/kills
someone, even inside of their own house!  It was clearly intended for
situations as this example--- I feel the dog's being punished won't prevent
this from happening to another child- only owner responsibility can do that! I
must say however, it seems the general attitude of people is that "it's all in
how one raises them"***, meaning that all "pit bulls" aren't inherently bad by
nature.... That is most of them anyhow- and go ahead and exchange "pit bulls"
for "any dog" and the statement will be quite right.   At one point in even my
short 40-something years, our breed was the "vicious breed with bad
temperaments you couldn't trust" to the public view. We as
breeders/owners/exhibitors had to work hard to reformulate the public's
opinions.   ***regardless of what one chooses to believe, it's not "all in how
you raise them"! a dog who is hard-wired wrong will not be normal no matter how
good the trainer, how loving the home. Like think the dog who freezes in place
when faced with something novel for an example?  Those same people seem to
think that dogs aren't individual personalities, with likes & dislikes and
quirky personal preferences just like we people have. They think that a GSD
should be a happy goofy oaf who will happily (read rudely) introduce themselves
to any and every fool the dog meets and are offended when the dog gives them a
dirty look questioning what's wrong with them, and isn't interested in dealing
with an idiot?!? Usually their dogs don't like them either, unless their dog is
stupid too.
As Carolyn (I think!) mentioned-- that dog we all saw in the video was clearly
hard-wired wrong- I'm astutely observant of dog behavior (it's my job hey) and
the dog was in an aggressive mode from when it came around the back of the
vehicle. What made it that way?  Who knows.
BUT- even that said- I'm sure the owner knows this dog has "issues", whether
created or hard wired.  It is STRICTLY & WHOLLY that owner's fault for allowing
their dog to be "at large". Period.
I sure am glad this video was about "hero cat" rather than just another dog
bite... I'm pretty sure that dog wouldn't have been letting go so soon had Mr
Kitty not acted as the Hand of God at that moment... and we would have seen a
different headline!
So soon as the 10 day observation period is over, that dog needs to be
euthanized. Oh- and a couple ppl mentioned why is the dog being "observed" and
not "already dead"?  That is since the dog is 1) in custody, and 2) having
bitten someone, it is a mandatory 10 day quarantine (by law) the animal is to
be "observed" by a licensed veterinarian (at least once a day for those 10
days) to ascertain if the animal is showing signs of being infected with
rabies.  (Even when it isn't a vicious or intended bite. If the bite is
treated, the animal must be put on rabies quarantine.). The animal owner is
responsible for the impound fee to be observed, regardless of the outcome....
If rabies signs are reported, off comes their head to be sent to a state
diagnostics lab just to be sure. Their vaccination status only means the animal
will probably "pass" the quarantine- not be rabid- so then the case goes on for
disposition by the animal's actions at that point. Earlier this year, we got a
shelter cat who bit a tech-in-training during a spay/neuter clinic. He bit and
scratched the handler (who had no animal handling skills) who was trying to
pull/drag him out of a kitty crate at the busy clinic. Oh did I mention this
was a semi-feral outdoor cat too?  To tip his crate to slide him out or even a
towel would have worked wonders. We socialized him and he ended up adopted.
Animals will bite with what they feel is good reason. By being wired right,
they bite only when (they feel it) warranted.
Did anyone say what kind of dog this dog was?  It was on some pretty "Peggy
legs" that I could see- didn't have proper body or leg conformation for an
actual APBT or AST...  That poorly bred pitties are typically high on leg, I
was just curious...?  APBTs and pittie type mixes are not the dogs I watch out
for at the office... It's the beagles and chihuahuas and dachshunds !
Hoping that boy's parents don't end up handicapping him by planting the "fear
of dogs" seed in him. In young children it seems that how the parents handle it
is totally how the child turns out. I was bitten in the face by my own dog (I
was being bad) when I was 2 years old. My first memory in life even. I was
lucky enough to have a family who said "life goes on go walk the dogs and make
sure you bring the scoop" (isn't having disposable poopy bags so wonderful
LOL).  I so hope his does similarly.
Had to rant on this one too!

Jen P & her Pack excited to go see her new kittens Tuesday only another month
til they come home!

http://showgsd.org/mail.html