[ SHOWGSD-L ] individual variation

  • From: Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:48:58 -0400

Katie: "What I was trying to say is that the entire litter will be exposed
> and affected by whatever drug is given. Yes there are degrees of
> what that effect is and unless we did a necropsy on each of the pups
> to determine if the living pups had any lasting effects, we don't
> know the degree they are affected."

Donna: "Thank you for the clarification--that's very different from the way I
read what you said originally--but I still disagree. In addition to
individual variation among the littermates, which is important in all
cases, there can be other situations in play. Here are a couple
examples. If you are very close to the threshold dose of a substance
with a steep dose-response curve, some could be unaffected, some could
be transiently affected and fully recover, and/or some could be
catastrophically affected (death or malformation). Some toxins affect
affect one sex exclusively or affect the sexes differentially--in the
latter case you could also see just one sex affected, depending on dose.

We are going to have to agree to disagree."

I actually think we do agree on this.  I had originally been discussing
antibiotics and although I didn't state it (I should have) when I said
"whatever drug" I was referring to antibiotics.  I wasn't try to make this an
all inclusive conversation.  We had been discussing the use of antibiotics in
pregnant bitches and what the effects may be on the developing fetuses.  I know
I did used one non-antibiotic example with the ethylene glycol, but that was
only to show toxicity in certain species when pregnant.  I tried to stick to
antibiotic examples and I probably should have omitted the ethylene glycol
comment.  I agree there are plenty of drugs, plants, environmental toxins,
chemicals, etc. that do have a dose dependent threshold before an affect is
seen or not seen, and also can only affect one sex, as you stated.  Most
antibiotics are given based on a mean inhibitory concentration to work against
a given bacteria and although dose dependent, I don't know any antibiotics
that are sex dependent, please enlighten me if anyone knows of an antibiotic
that afffects males or females differently based on the dosages.

I think the disagreement arrived when talking about apples vs. oranges instead
of comparing apples to apples.

Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com