[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: incorrect Information on a Bi Color

  • From: Amy Greenhut <genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:38:29 +0000 (UTC)

Carolyn.....I have always thought that a bi-color was just what you said, all
black with just tan on the legs with black hocks. A very well known GSD breeder
is the one with the theory about a true bi-color always having a gray
undercoat. I will not name him because he is not on this list. I am looking at
a solid black and bi-color right now as I am typing. Missy is all black except
for her legs. She has black on her hocks and black toes and Nichole is solid
black. She did get a little silver in between her toes as she got older. She is
8-1/2 years old. All my bi-colors have has black undercoats except for one. I
always considered Bono a bi. Guess I was wrong.
Amy Greenhut
Justrock German Shepherds
Gen Oak Leopard Tortoises &  Tortoise Rescue
Behold The Turtle,  He Makes Progress Only When He Sticks His Neck Out
A Quote By James B. Conant

From: Amy Greenhut To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Cc: floridacracker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
; freelist Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 1:08 PM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Information on a Bi Color

A true bi-color will have a gray undercoat. But out of all the bi-colors that I
have had or have now only one had a gray undercoat. So...to me a bi-color is an
all black dog with tan legs and feet, always black on the hocks and usually a
solid black head but there can be a little tan on the head but not much.
Sometimes there will be white on the chest also. Tanya......I will e-mail you
privately a picture of Harley and Missy. Harley was the blackest bi-color I
have ever owned. Both Harley and Missy has black on their toes. I love black
toes, lol.     Amy Greenhut

From: Tanya D'Armand < floridacracker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >  >
I was having a discussion with someone about what exactly is a bi color.
Ok, the dog is mostly black,
has a bit of tan on the cheeks, tan on the lower part of the legs but black
head.� I was told that a true
bi color had a grey undercoat.� Is that true?� Or is there something
other I  need to be looking for???
The reason is I have a puppy that I personally feel is a very, dark black/tan
but someone else says
bi.� Help,
Tanya D'Armand
Jasmine Acres GSD