[ SHOWGSD-L ] in home training-long

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:08:38 -0800 (PST)

I do a single lesson, most of the time.

  Saturday I went to a home with a 13 year GSD, a 3 1/2 yr GSD, a 5 yr Russle
cross, an 18 mnth boxer, and a teeny tiny in the house, they called me because
of the new GSD pup.  He is fine.

  The most senior I did not mess with much, he is older than I am and that is
my limit.

  The 3 yr GSD, Max, I was warned would bite.  He surely would.  I said, bring
him out, on lead and be the leader!!!  Husband went from worry to control.  Max
is maybe a little friendlier than I like in a GSD, at least after he took my
leadership, before that he was a proper GSD, sniff, and go, but not a dangerous
dog.  The Boxer was also supposed to bite.  He is still something of a baby and
was a doll to play with, if you don't mind Boxer drool.

  The Russel was something of a problem, but on lead was just fine.

  The teeny tiny peed on my lap, I drained her anal glands and she felt better.

  The point is that this man could never have taken his dogs to a group class
as he was.  He was mired in his certainty that his dogs were dangerous.  If he
had gone to a group class with any of them, they would have proven him right.

  Now, he is in control and the dogs are great.  We walked them near the
neighbor dogs who of course were trying to get through their fence and eat
these dogs.  I had both together on lead, the boxer and the gsd went at each
other, I broke them apart myself and they calmed down.

  Then the owner took one then both then one again.  He got to feel how to
correct, when to praise and how to be in control.

  This could never have happened in a group class.

  Today I went to see another GSD pup, this one came with 2 8 yr dogs, one male
one bitch.  The bitch was easy to sway to niceness.  The dog was not.  He spent
some time muzzled so I could touch his face safely.

  This was after he bit me on the left leg.  I am bruised, but not damaged
badly.  I am pissed that he got at me, despite my efforts to keep him away.  He
did improve a lot, but he is far from safe.

  The wife is terrified of him, and has been from the start.  The husband does
not see how bad the dog is.  He may be thinking that I egged the dog into
biting me.  The dog would have bitten anyone without putting him on lead.

  I instructed the people to buy crates, collars and leads.  Time for real
training for these guys.  The GSD here?  He is dominant and will be a huge
problem if he is not managed.  I will be back to that house!!!!!

  Then they can go to a group, when they have some control over the dogs at
home first.

  This is why in home matters.  This is also what in home should be.  Not the
trainer taking the dog away and teaching it to sit.  But teaching the owners
how to manage their dogs, directly with nothing between them and the dog, once
I understand the dog.
  sheila