[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ice water

  • From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:08:14 -0400

My horse vet was at the farm, giving Doodles his Adequan shot and
floating Chester's teeth.  We discussed the whole ice-water thing:
she told me NEVER give ice-water to an overheated dog or horse.  She
said it would stop the inner machinations of the digestive process and
the animal would bloat/colic.  A good friend of hers lost a mare 2
weeks ago because another vet tubed ice-water into her stomach to
bring her temp down.  The mare died, the friend is suing (and will
win), my vet says.

Penny in NC

I'm wondering if day to day ice water is no big deal, but to a hot/
stressed dog it's a bad thing?  I know with the horses we never give
them free access to water until after they are cooled out to prevent
colic.  And in I've had my own experience of being very hot and
thirsty at a show and chugging a generous amount of ice water.  Did it
once I won't do it again as that was a special sort of pain that day.
Now for me and my critters we stick with coolish water to drink at
shows/events.  Just seems easier/safer on everyone involved that way.
Part of my don't  overprotect, but don't go looking for trouble either
outlook :)

~Sarah