[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO IS RESPONSIBLE....

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:35:47 -0800 (PST)

--- "D.G.Bonome" <lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do pups learn their little tricks... digging, jumping
> Kennel runs, by watching their MOM, or by watching the
> other dogs? OR is it an inherited talent? (MOM and
> DAD).
> These Shepherds are TOO SMART that it is SCARY!!
> Dawn

 I think it is an inherited trait(though some dogs do learn
by watching).  My girl Leah LOVES water, balls, squeaker
toys, will work for food/ball.  I get reports from her
puppy owners that their dogs are the same way, ball crazy
will throw ball for hours, dogs dropping the ball at their
feet to the point they have to hide the ball (just like
mom).  Walking around the house, squeaking toys.  Running
through/atteacking  water. (just like mom)  Also, the pups
in her first litter are laid back dogs (like mom/dad (he
was a very mellow dog)) except for when there is a
ball/water/toy present :)

Her last litter, I bred to a boy similar in ball/toy/food
drives but much higher drive in personality (though my girl
has high drives behind her, but she herself is mellow
except for when toys/balls are present).
I had puppies DIGGING ESCAPE routes at 5-6 weeks old, the
minute I moved them back, they were digging out again
within minutes. I had to put them on concrete, and then
they figured out how to climb a three foot  x-pen.
As young as 4 weeks, playing with balls, carrying sqeaker
toys. Definately intense pups.
 I get the same reports about balls, toys, water as I did
with her last litter. But the digging/food/toy drive, in
your face personality has been intensified.
The noses/digging/toy drive are much higher, and I think it
is in part that I doubled up on these types of drives.
The girl I kept was the first to escape the box, so I was
definetely asking for trouble when I kept her :)  She has 9
(NINE) holes in her pen..her mother was/is never that
bad...but then again this time I bred to a line that has a
great nose/digging too.
Food drive is VERY intense, more so than her last litter.
These pups will do ANYTHING for food/ball.  My girl which I
kept back is VERY VERY High drive just like her dad's side
(Jim son), and her mom's side (her brother Avalance dog,
her grandmom is VERY intense dog too)
She has a non-stop, in your face personality, never tires
down.  But the minute she sees food, she stops in her
tracks and focuses intensely..great for training....If it
wasn't for her intense food/ball drive I could not control
her due to her drive..BUT THANKFULLY her ball/food drives
work in my favor.  Whenever I want her to learn something
new, I show her food, and she almost always gets it on her
first/second try.
I contribute these drives/training abilities to her mom and
her dad.
So if you ask, do i think the majority of pups drives and
personalities are learned?  No.
But to me they are definately inherited traits.

Ann Marie
www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Puppies.html
Home of CH Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC OFA
and her daughter R/Best In Futurity CH Amari's Ava Gardner OFA
and in the wings Leah's new daughter Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy
Breeder/Owner ofAmari's Bandit of Broadcreek (5pts. 2/BOB @ 6 months)

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/