[ SHOWGSD-L ] ?? how do you keep your dogs cooler in this heat wave ??

  • From: Betsy Reinier <betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: New dog list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:49:00 -0700

.•:*¨¨*:•. Hello again .•:*¨¨*:•.

I would like to know how you keep your dogs a little cooler in this heat
wave. It's suppose to be 101° tomorrow. Been so hot here for the last
couple of weeks with no end in site yet. So I would like to know what
you guys do, so maybe I can add to what I'm doing.

I've been soaking all my dogs down with the hose 3 times a day and
sometimes, emptying their water buckets twice a day, so they will have
cooler water to drink.

They are outside in their kennel runs during the day. We have patio
blocks (6X12"?) for their floor; with sand underneath to hold them
better in place, with either a 2x4 or 2x6 for the frame. Anyway, over
the years the patio blocks have sunk down a little in the front of the
kennel where they usually walk or lay down - and about 2 -3 rows back.
Because of this I can fill the front of their kennels with at least 1"
or more with my hose. They love it!! "Tilly," who just turned 11 years
old yesterday... likes to sit in the water.

Unfortunately I don't have an air conditioner for my dogs in their
building that they go into for the night, (nor for us, but the dogs
always come first with me), and at 7:15 pm it was 87° in there!! Now
I'll soak the dogs down again before I put them to "bed" and turn on
their fans. *Any other suggestions here?

*Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.

Betsy

<cid:part1.06040303.01060804@wavecable.com>I Love all my
dogs...past...present... and future.

http://www.dogspoiler.com