[ SHOWGSD-L ] hot spot?(please read)

  • From: john garnett <rdg718@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 08:21:30 -0700 (PDT)

This GS male of ours, whose 31/2 yrs of age, started
having excessive scratching on the side of his face
and head, and also was shaking his head alot!!!
thought maybe he might of had an ear infection and
began to treat it with Dixie treatment for a few
days,got no results. Started to get worse, so we took
him to his Vet., the Vet checked his ears out said
that they were the cleanest ears they have ever seen,
however no ear infection! then they began to shave the
side of his face near the jawline and claimed he had a
HOT SPOT! my question is has anyone ever seen or heard
of hot spot near or around the face area? I thought
that the hot spots appeared on the lower body area
ie..back, legs. The vet claimed that Listerine is
great to treat hot spots but it would not work because
of the area of where he had his wound and also dogs
cannot or don't want to lick the area of where the
Listerine is applied, but yet where he has the wound
he would still be able to scratch it. We will probably
never find out what caused it whether it was bug bite,
allegies or anything like that. Also I asked the Vet
if it could have been poison ivy or oak and she said
that she had never seen that happend my question is it
possible for dogs to react to either of those?  Thanks
for all of your experitise and advice on this matter. john

 for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/