[ SHOWGSD-L ] honesty and listings

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:48:25 -0400

I received many posts that were in agreement with my post and to clarify.
1) I was addressing information posted BEFORE judging begins
2) I was addressing discussing dogs/bitches entered in a show BEFORE the show
is judged.
3) The original post NEVER objected to Brags being posted AFTER judging - brags
was not even MENTIONED.
4) I firmly believe that the vast majority of our judges are totally honest.
Most of us have been exposed to RUMORS that are totally false, 'predictions of
wins', "he put up her dog so she will probably put up his dog"  and the list
goes on and on. Perfect example is the handler who rushed up to a friend of
mine and fellow club member and said, " I heard you were here so that Nancy
could finish your bitch" Very appropriately my friend replied" Well, now that
is going to be very hard to do being my bitch is not entered".
Are exhibitors hesitant to enter when these types of rumors are flying around?
Perhaps, perhaps not.  We all know that cell phones can pass the word to
another judge immediately after judging, so much for the list being an
influence.   Quite frankly, I am not concerned about "honest" judges in our
breed, more harmful are the rumors that make exhibitors question the ethics of
our judges.  It is a fact, applicable in all breeds, that successful breeders
are almost always the best judges for their breed - again, ALMOST ALWAYS, there
are always exceptions to the rule.  Therefore, if one is an active breeder and
also judges, it is bound to happen, eventually a judge will possibly  give a
win to a breeder/judge & that person judging will have also received a win
under that exhibitor.  It is not always easy to judge, especially at very
competitive shows, and judges can be placed under a great deal of pressure.  I
am just in favor of providing the very best scenario possible for our judges.
It is quite possible that too much talk that has no foundation can hurt
entries, discourage newcomers and project an image on a judge that is both
incorrect and harmful.  As far as pre show,after show gatherings are concerned
what harm is there in a judge mingling with a group?  None that I can think of:
any judge that corners himself/herself with A PERON, A HANDLER  etc is not
using good judgment & certainly Christine's example of a judge coming right out
and ASKING about the previous days winners is detrimental to everyone.  The
second day judge may put up the very same dog because it was in that judge's
opinion the best dog.  However, the credibility of the second day win may be
compromised by any who may have heard the second day judge ask who the winners
were. Now, the fun of the win is diminished for the poor breeder/owner.  Gosh,
this is a long post, sorry but I certainly do not want anyone to walk away
thinking that I believe that the majority of our judges would make a decision
based on the win the day before - actually it is more likely to affect the
owners /exhibitors than the judge.  Whew------
Nancy