[ SHOWGSD-L ] honest judges

  • From: "Carolyn McKenna" <Kennadale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsds" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:48:38 -0600

        It seems to me there are three categories.  I find most of the breeder
 judges easy to follow though I have been told that we do have a pod of four
 or five who tend to practice  "trade offs "  I will say that most of the
specialties
 that I have attended over the last 50 + years have left me with the impression
 that breeder judges are, for the most part, quite honest as well as
knowledgeable.
       The all breed ring constitutes the other two categories : one is the
ribbon
 distributor  and the other is the knowledgeable adjudicator.   The ribbon
distributor
 is the person who doesn't care about actually knowing the breed, merely adding
 as many breeds as possible. We find these mostly in those who were granted
 additional breeds back when "who you know" was much more important than
 what you know.  These are many of the older judges who simply have no idea
 of what a GSD should be. Since these judges are lost as far as the breed is
 concerned, they are frequently greatly influenced by advertising and rankings.
 We seldom find this in the specialty ring. In the specialty ring, there are
many
 new "stars" discovered--------not in the all breed ring, just the same old
same old.
      The other ab ring judge is the newer variety.  He has been required to
attend
 specialties, often nationals, and often has learned from these experiences.
 (granted, I have seen judges sleep through these ) These people are trying to
 learn and are interested in more than simply adding additional breeds.  We
 need to give them a chance to see good dogs so that they do not become as
 warped as some of the others who have been exposed only to generic dogs.
        In my area, we have a really great concentration of good dogs, dogs that
 win in both rings and at the national. Our breeders are educating ab judges as
 to what a GSD should be. , and it's getting better.  There are still those who
 judge by the advertising and the ratings, but I do feel that we can change
this.
        I do feel that it is much more than an issue of honesty. Honesty is a
minute
 issue when you realize that there is so much incompetence in the ab ring, but
 you can change that.  get the ab ring full of good dogs. OTOH when you know
 a judge is going to go with a certain kennel, don't enter.
                                       Carolyn

Carolyn McKenna
361-293-5389