[ SHOWGSD-L ] he's gone

  • From: Sarah Bishop <bliz1998@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:19:04 -0500

This past weekend we lost James.  He appeared fine when crated so we could
leave at 1 pm.  Got home at 4pm and he'd vomited in his crate and was bleeding
from somewhere.  Rinsed him in the tub found the blood was coming from his
rectum.  While my mom called to see if we had to take him to his regular vet or
the e-vet he got a drink and pretty much instantly threw it back up.

Off to the e-vet we went.  They couldn't come up with anything right then.
Bloodwork showed nothing except high white blood cells, and high red cells per
liter.  The bleeding had slowed so the dosed him up with anitbiotics and sub-q
fluids and sent him home to stay quiet and try to get the bleeding to stop
completely.  After we were home for about an hour he threw up again this time
it was blood.

Back to the e-vet this time they wanted to start vitamin K as the only thing
that even sort of fit was rat poisoning.  There were no changes in the blood
values.  In fact the only change was Xrays showed pockets of air in the small
intestine.   They kept him that time to try and get the bleeding stopped and
him stabilized.  Unfortunately they were unsuccessful and we lost him at 3:30
Sun morning.

They never did figure what was wrong that made him so sick so fast.  His food
hadn't changed and he wasn't a dog to pick up something strange and eat it so
the poisoning doesn't make sense to me.  The only possibility they came up with
was a low grade infection had been brewing for a bit and then flared up to
create the crisis Sat.

For me the hardest thing was that it was so damn fast.  He went from bouncy and
normal to so sick he didn't want to move less than 12 hours later.  He was
going to be my first show dog and we were going to have fun with it.  If that
was a bust we had also been training for plan B rally and obedience.  Damn it,
it hurts even worse than the last last time as he was a young dog and it was so
fast.  Also on Sunday while dealing with my grief I had unsuspecting family who
called to wish me a happy birthday, I couldn't even answer the phone.  I only
had one wish and it was the only one no one could grant.  RIP Bubba you were
loved by many.

James 7/1/05 - 12/9/07

~Sarah