[ SHOWGSD-L ] hemmohroid? report

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:40:13 -0700 (PDT)

> Dogs do not get hemmohroids but they can get something similar which is
> what my old girl has.(don't ask me the name) They can be squeezed and
> popped so they drain but more then likely will just come back in a
> different area. You can do surgery to remove them but once again they will
> probably come back.
> Sally

They are called impacted anal glands - if they can be releived by
squeezing. But if they come back after surgery, then the vet did an
imperfect job and the gland regenerated itself and had to find a way to
expell its content, and, finding that surgery had closed up the opening,
it causes quite a mess in finding a way out. Our vet f\expells the content
of the gland, then fills it with white silocone before surgery so he knows
he has gotten the whole gland.

This is different that parianal fistulas and the two are sometimes
confused. If the anal glands are truly gone, then they do not expell and
do not move. The openings around the anal opening then are probably
parianal fistulas and are an immune difficency problem. Surgery used to be
the treatment of choice, but was ultimately ineffective in a large number
of cases. But the more recent treatment with cyclosporine orally has been
a god sent. Chronic parianal fistulas can be fatal, but the cyclosporine
is effective in the vast majority of cases without surgery.

Check with a vet who is up to speed on this. There are seminars now across
the country for this particular problem and it might be good to find a vet
who has attended.

Hope that helps.....
Don't ask how I found this out.... <G>
Experience of the past has been costly....
Dave