[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: handlers fut/mat judges

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ANN SCHULTZ" <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Gatlinp@xxxxxxx, mlward@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:43:01 -0500

I have seen this too, which translates into every rule can be manipulated.
Handlers can not handle knowing they will be handling for that person
again, people sign off dogs, then sign back on, etc. However, with our ever
shrinking pool of handlers and exhibitors, and the fact that many
exhibitors are judges, it can become a problem. To me it is a "perceived"
conflict of interest. I am not certain why a judge whose handler exhibits
under them would feel they owe them anything. if you are judging dogs, it
is a moot point, doesn't matter who is on the lead.If the best dog is
handled by the judges handler, then so be it, it would be equally wrong to
punish an outstanding dog, just because of who he was handled by also! I
actually think there is more conflict of interest with competing in a
futurity, and also judging one. I could allow you to eliminate your
competition, for the futurity finals, if you have won a previous futurity.
However, again if you start making more rules for this or that, you start
losing more exhibitors. bottom line is you can't really legislate honesty.
I have known judges to make phone calls the night before wondering, who was
entered that day, and the next day or if so and so was entered under them.
Not hearsay, I was in the room when the call was made.Ironically some of
these same are the very ones who get "preachy" about how honest they are or
how dishonest everyone else is. Rule of thumb, if someone has to "tell" you
how honest they are, they probably aren't or their actions would speak for
themselves.Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

Breeder-Owner of 62 Champions and 18 ROMs
www.edangsd.com