[ SHOWGSD-L ] handler/judges new 2009 new rules

  • From: lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:32:34 +0000 (UTC)

This new rule AKC has caused problems already.

 A judge used her regular handler for the class in a specialty.  The handler
won a higher class in dogs.  The judge could not get anyone to take her dog
back into winners; everyone was paranoid of the consequences because she was
judging a few specialties coming in the next 4 months.  We all looked at her
and said "sorry"; just not worth risking anyone at ringside who who wants to
protest. Her dog payed the price not having anyone to take him back in for
Winners.

The "conflict of interest" adds a twist. Let's say a judge/exhibitor is talking
to me at a bar after a show this weekend.  They mention that xyz judge is
doing the SE Fut/Mat and they have a brand new litter of puppies they just
nominated. This person thinks the NW judge should like the type, based on the
bloodlines.  Judge/Exhibitor mentions that if the puppies continue to look
promising, they would like for me to consider handling one. Business
contract? Fut. entries close in March.  Actual NW Fut/Mat occurs in
June.   Judge/exhibitor enters Junior Dog Futurity closing in March, for
shows in June. We hope the puppy will turn out; right now he is a bit rumpy-
let's wait and see how he looks when the Fut rolls around in May.  Business
contract?

How about this scenario:    Awards dinner- 2009 National.  XYZ judge
announced to judge Specials in 2010.  The first thing exhibitors( judges) do
is ask a handler- xyz likes my dog- if he looks good next year- will you
consider showing him? I say; I will certainly consider showing him next year.
 Business contract?  Am I unable to exhibit under this person for 1 year?
(following National) and if I agree to show the dog an additional 4 months
after the show also applies?  14 months exemption?

Then the co owner situation puts another twist on things.  Let's say you are a
breeder/judge.  You sell a dog to someone and you co own in name only- meaning
it is up to the person you gave the co ownership to where they show and what
handler they use. Your biggest involvement is when the owner sends you an
email or gives you phone to say "we won!" Is that handler bound to 8 months
restriction under you?  And what if that owner uses several handlers?

I was at some shows last month.  One of my clients dogs fell in love with me,
she showed like a can of worms (lol) running beside me, jumping up, wagging her
tail, no animation.  The owner is a judge, who was judging a show in 4
months.  You would have thought the dog and I both had active swine flu
trying to find someone to take her in for me!

For those of you who are unaware of the May 2009 NEW AKC ruling: The Irish
Setter National held in May of 2007 caused the controversy.  A top winning
handler showed top winning Irish Setters for the lady who was judging the
Irish Setter National.  He stopped handling 4 months prior.  He went Best of
breed with another clients dog under the judge.  The following weekend after
The National; he was exhibiting animals for the lady who judged The National.

IMO: Our best judges actively exhibit and breed dogs.  Indeed, this is rarely
an All Breed problem.  But for specialty judges; the AKC is making it very
difficult for them. Handlers do not want to show their dogs; they want to
exhibit good dogs under knowledgeable breeder/judges.  Our judges who attend
shows and breed litters have a better eye for what the breed needs.  We are
hamstringing our top talent judging pool.