[ SHOWGSD-L ] gunky nose

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:46:44 -0400

Hi all
Need to pick your brains.  My 7 year spayed bitch has had immune problems
from day 1.  Every Spring her allergies are aroused and she has hot spots
and lick granulomas.  I give her anti histamines, baths, the whole deal to
cope with the itches.  This fall she presented for the second time with
pemphygia on her nose.  I gave her plenty of rest, vitamin supplements,
cortisone cream to stop her from licking it.  It seemed to have waned over
the winter.  I had her out tracking last weekend in a field and noticed that
she picked up lots of burrs on her coat.  Today I happened to look into her
nose and her right nostril is covered with green gunk inside (the outside
looks quite dry - almost a chapped lips type of look).  I've never noticed
this before.  Would this be an allergic reaction (ie like our having a cold)
or could this be a burr bothering her nostril.  It doesn't seem to bother
her and I know her sense of smell is still keen (she smells the treats as
soon as she enters the house).  Should I worry about this?
Mary-Anne