[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [gsdshowlist] Serious Image Problem

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: DKARLOFF@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:11:55 EDT

All true.

What I do to try and combat this is really bring up the subject for puppy
people to find a vet who actually knows and LIKES GSDs, then encourage them
to  call at any time with any question for the life of the dog.

(I have a whole section on selecting a vet in my puppy packet).

We've all had the ignorant comment directed at us ("too bad about your
puppy's bite" when the bite is perfect).  WOW can  that ruin the day  for a
puppy customer and NOTHING goes downhill faster than the relationship  between
a breeder and their client when a vet (read GOD) gets in the middle w/
nonsense.

...so, I start w/ a signed health cert from my vet, (I find other vets tend
 to keep their opinions to themselves when faced w/ "all normal and free of
 congenital defect", SIGNED by one of their peers, I educate puppy people
and I  keep the door open for questions when something just doesn't "feel
right" for  the life of the dog.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 7/2/2009 9:36:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
DKARLOFF@xxxxxxx writes:

I  believe this is a very serious issue.  We have an awful public  image  -
perhaps because of the popularity of the breed in past  years  which
created
some irresponsible matings and flooded the  market with  poor quality
animals.
Or perhaps because we have, over  the years, deviated  from the standard
and created extremes that were  never meant to be there.   But our breed
has
survived all of  these vicissitudes and we do have sound  beautiful animals
that can,  successfully, engage in a variety of  roles.

I agree  that we need to be more proactive and educate the general  public.

However, I think it is also most important to educate  the  veterinarians
who are out there giving awful advice and passing  on  horribly ignorant
comments about our breed.  I can't believe  the  number of vets that have
no idea
what is panosteitis and  recommend drastic  treatments; or try to fix soft
pasterns with a  splint; or who think that a  four month angulated puppy is
severely  dysplastic.  And, remember,  vets are a most influential factor
in
creating the image the general  public has of our breed.  We  need to,
somehow,
educate these vets  while they are still in vet  school - before they go
out
into the world and  foster their  ignorance of our breed on the many people
that come to them  for  advice and guidance.  Would it be possible for us
partner  with  AKC in providing vet schools with educational material?  It
seems that GSDs  are not the only breed who suffer from this imagine  issue
- I
think that, in  general, pure bred dogs do not fare well  with vets.

This is why it is so important that we stop all the  unnecessary  political
bickering and concentrate in addressing these  important  issues.

I'd like to see our club create a committee, as  Bill Pfeiffer describes,
and develop a plan to educate the general  public and veterinarians at
large.

Great subject, Sherri.   Thanks.

Dania

In a message dated 7/2/2009 3:18:46 P.M.  Eastern Daylight  Time,
f.fasano@xxxxxxx writes:

I  remember having a doctor  visit looking at our dogs- he said too bad
about
their hips- I said what do  you mean. He pointed out the  sloping top lines
on  our dogs and  referenced the female he had  purchased elsewhere, as
level
as a  table.  I explained that  the sloping top line had nbothing to do
with
hips   being  dysplatic. He called back a few months later to ask if his
level
bitch  should be making a clicking noise going up and down steps.  Sent
him
to the vet  who confirmed severe hip dysplsia- but we  do need to  better
educate the public  about the structure of  our  dogs-Kris

[Non-text portions of this message  have  been  removed]

**************It's raining cats and  dogs -- Come  to PawNation, a place
where pets rule!   (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

[Non-text  portions  of this message have been   removed]

------------------------------------

*****   Visit our website at:  http://www.gsdshowlist.org    *****

Go to the chat room:  http://www.gsdshowlist.org/chat1

**  Contact list administrators  at: Administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx **

The  Gsdshowlist is a private  forum and all email posted to this list
should be  treated as private  email.  Do not forward list posts or quotes
from a
list  post,  to any person who is not a list member, without the author's
permission.

The gsdshowlist is not a moderated list. Comments  posted to  the
gsdshowlist are that of the author of the emails, and  do not represent the
 opinions
or beliefs of the gsdshowlist, its  owners, or its  members.

<*>Send all posts regarding GSD  RESCUE to  Rescue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>To temporarily stop  list mail send a  blank email to:
gsdshowlist-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>To restart list mail  send a  blank email  to:
gsdshowlist-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>To restart in  digest, or to  change to digest mode send  to:
gsdshowlist-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>How to change your  list email  address if you have a Yahoo ID:
http://www.gsdshowlist.org/emailaddychange.html

Having trouble  doing mail  settings?  We can do the settings for you.
Feel free  to contact a list  administrator for help.
Yahoo! Groups  Links

<*> To visit your  group on the web, go  to:

<*> Your  email  settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*>  To  change settings online go  to:
(Yahoo! ID   required)

<*> To change settings via  email:
mailto:gsdshowlist-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mailto:gsdshowlist-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> To  unsubscribe  from this group, send an email  to:

<*> Your use of  Yahoo!  Groups is subject  to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

**************Make your  summer sizzle with fast and easy recipes for the
grill.  (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000005)

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)