[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: grooming

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:22:51 EST

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: grooming
I have two bitches with  *extremely* plush coats.  Not real long guard
hairs, but rather  super thick undercoats.  (When parting the hair, it's
tough to
see skin.)  When they blow coat, I can barely get a rake through  the
coat.  It is actually impossible to get a rake through some  areas and I end
up
"plucking" the undercoat as it surfaces.  This takes  forever!
If anyone knows a "trick" for grooming such plush-coated  dogs,
I'd love to hear about it.  (Bathing and blow drying are out for  right
now.)  Thanks in advance.
Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA  Member

Hi Paulette

Nothing beats a good brushing a couple of times a week.  Our TJ, and  now
DEXTER and JACKIE, have loads of coat.  They have a lot and it is  thick!
Couple times a week with a good pin brush, followed by a comb  thru, and a
dryer.
No water at this time, it is too cold.  I will use a  rake during shedding
season, but absolutely hate the Furminator for their  coat.

Check around in your area for a Self Service Bath grooming facility. That
way you can give them a warm bath and blow them dry, without making a mess at
home.  The warm bath will expedite the shedding, and then you can do simple
maintenance at home.

I just donated a box of grooming supplies to the local shelter, including 2
Furminators and the crappy Peticure we ordered for the grooming salons, and
lots  of shampoo samples that we got from the vendors.
I believe the Furminators work, just don't like the feel of the coat
afterward.

Hope this helps.
Ileana
Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.