[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: great article from the Kansas City Star

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:38:17 -0400

    Hmmm.  Well, I will backtrack and say that I didn't agree with
everything the article said, but nor do I agree with Ed all the way.
     The actual fact is that dog fighting did start as a rural activity
(in this country), and it is true that African Americans were not
involved.  It started among the "Tobacco Road" types, and only moved to
the inner city when the "crack" drug culture developed.  Yes, people
took drugs long before hip-hop...but it wasn't glorified until hip hop
came along.   People who shoot or sniff heroin weren't interested in dog
fighting.  Dog fighting now is big business, and while some of it still
goes on in rural communities, there was never big money involved in it
until it got into the inner cities and the crack and cocaine dealers got
involved.  Hip hop and rap IS the music of choice of the "gangsta"
crowd...and that IS the kind of place where Michael Vick grew up.  In
areas like that, even in large towns here in the East, not just inner
cities, you see the young men going with pitbulls on heavy chains, hip
hop or rap blasting either from their shoulder music boxes or from their
car radios...loudly enough that they shake all the other cars near them
when everybody is stopped at a light, or trying to get gas........it is
a sub-culture, no denying it.  The symbols of that subculture are, like
it or not, crack cocaine, EXTRAORDINARILY loud hip hop and rap music,
and pitbulls.  Then, top athletes like Michael Vick are deified by this
culture. Right now the believers are all over the place saying  he's
innocent....and most of them have no clue what he's even charged with.
They see nothing wrong in fighting dogs, because that makes them feel
more manly themselves.   It's part of the same syndrome that makes them
so reluctant to neuter  their animals.
    Michael Vick  says that when he was growing up in Newport News, his
uncle didn't let him out of the house because of the dangers of street
gangs...but look who his friends are now--people from that
neighborhood.  Obviously some of them got out of the house...Vick, too.
.   Now, his excuses for all his bad behavior are "I'm with the wrong
crowd."  I'd certainly say so.  Next week  he turns 27.   I hope that
he's in prison by the time he's 28, and maybe then he will realize that
he can't blame this behaviour, or his past bad behaviour, on his
friends.  He doesn't accept responsibility for anything...
    Anyone who watches TV or reads knows not all black atheletes are bad
guys.  This one, however far he's come from his not so hot start, has
ruined all his opportunities and is still blaming everybody but
himself.   And his behaviour IS reflective of the hip hop/rap culture.
Thank God, not every  hip-hopper or rapper behaves that way...most just
pretend--because yes, they DO think it is cool.  As for our grossly
overpaid professional athletes, black, white, or yellow, the few that do
have no boundaries and think they are exempt from following the law, are
a very small minority.    Vick, unfortunately, is one of that minority.
  Ed's right...Vick used bad judgment.  Iin fact, he used NO judgment at
all.  He just acted like the overpaid and completely spoiled brat he is.
  Peggy