[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: great article from the Kansas City Star

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:57:22 -0700 (PDT)

       Once again Peggy and I disagree ( but I still wish she was on our
board)...I am responding to the article here because a few of you may have read
it as I did. First black athletes don't need a wake up call to reject the
so-called hip-hop/prison culture (what ever that is) The writer of the article
who is African American in the beginning of the article appeared to lump all
African American athletes together until the end of the article. I wonder who
lives in his neighborhood. Then he said Vick got involved with breeding vicious
pit bulls because of rap-music culture made it the cool thing to do???. That
statement is both outrageous and irresponsible...that's like blaming the
serious problem of sexual assaults on "Playboy" magazine ( years ago many
believed that). Dog fighting was here long before rap-music and if the writer
checks his history African Americans were not involved at the beginning! The
writer uses this incident to link is dislike of the hip-hop culture
 and rap music..hell I don't like rap music either but I'm not blaming it for
the ills of our society, Whitlock ( the writer) should know better. If Vick is
guilty ( and I think he is) he's not guilty because of the hip-hop culture or
rap music. If Vick is guilty he's guilty because his judgment is poor and he
has no empathy or compassion for animals in general and dogs in specific.
Vick's actions don't speak for hip hoppers, rappers, or black athletes...his
actions speak for himself...just like yours speak for you and mine speak for
me...Edwin Bernard Hill
Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   I called it the dumbing down of
America...and what I should have
called it was the "giving in to the hip-hop culture." I know this now,
after reading this article...
Norma said the entertainment industry uses all that ridiculous spelling,
and I'm here to say that isn't true. A certain level of entertainment,
maybe...the "gangsta"
attitude, with those morons who think it's "cool" to wear clothes that
don't fit, sing songs about rape and murder, and fight dogs (among other
things)... anyway,
read this article from the Kansas City Star. The writer is more lenient
than I am...but he does get the picture. It's a better, and more fair,
article than I could have
brought myself to write........... but it's well worth reading.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/195760.html

Peggy