[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: grain-free foods

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:14:32 -0700

Maybe not grain free, for everyone, but certainly reduced grain content.
Our dogs don,t produce the right quantities of enzymes to digest the HUGE
ratio of grains in most kibbles.  In the wild (remembering our dogs are
still carnivores) they do eat the gut, but with it they get enzymes along
with mostly minor quantities of grasses, grain, berries.
Modern dog foods are Grain Based for the most part.   We then wonder why our
dogs have allergies (I am speaking in collective terms) digestive problems,
condition issues.
This is not a food war, PLEASE NO.  But I can see wanting to go to grain
free, and instead relying on a diet that has sweet potato, blueberry, type
of fiber/carbs, rather than the huge grain bases we see.

We are right now, trying our Ch. Males ...very carefully, very slowly on
Taste of the Wild, Bison/Venison, after feeding Eagle Pack for YEARS.   It
will take awhile to make the switch, for sure, because the protein base is
different as well.
I can only say they LOVE it.  It smells like cooked beef, really!!!
I offered a few bites to the puppies from my hand , and they nearly took my
fingers with it! LOL

We shall see.  I am not ready to say this is our "food of choice" in part or
in whole, but it is going to be interesting.
I can keep you apprised of the progress over the next week or so as we
switch, and see if we have any changes, either positive or negative.   It is
the same cost per pound as Eagle Holistic Chicken /Rice.

Kathy Tank
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Updated: Oct 20, 2008 ~ HOME OF::
CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WE SUPPORT DRUG AND DYE TESTING