[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: good ones

  • From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:52:29 -0400

I believe that a good one is a GSD that can live in my home.  She's
sound.  She can win in the specialty and all-breed ring.  She has good
hips and elbows and has been able to produce the same.  She can
protect me; she once saved my life.  She can herd.  There is longevity
in her bloodlines; she'll be 11 soon.  Her name?  American and
Canadian CH Rotoba Black Forest Brownhill, OFA, TC.  I am not her
breeder--breeding has become very scary to me.  Her breeder?  Toby
Barlett but I bought her from Emily St. Hilaire and Frank DeBem.
Penny in NC

So much of the discussion of selling or obtaining a good one to finish
is related to how one defines a "good one". For most people it
probably means a dog that can go to dog shows and become a champion.
Those kinds of dogs aren't that hard to find, whether they be
dalmatians, GSDs, collies, whatever. My personal definition of a good
one strictly relates to GSDs and it is a dog that when ready and
properly managed can go to specialty shows and finish fairly quickly
in tough competition.