[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gonna get me in Trouble

  • From: "Rachel Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:56:20 -0500

----- Original Message -----
  "So what is your point? The main interest here is breeding and showing.  If I
was interested in working dogs I would join a different list.
  Sally"

Yes, but the the emphasis in our very own AKC Breed Standard is "The ideal dog
is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and gait
suitable for the arduous work that constitutes its primary purpose."
Notes: "Incorruptable Character" i.e. 100% sound
           "body and gait suitable for...work" i.e. structure that supports the
primary goal "Work".

Why do I want to be on this list?
1. I'm an American, and all my dogs are American, either born or naturalized
citizens <G> I LOVE this list, been on it almost 7 years, and all its sassy,
funny, bright people. I think the showring is a fun place to be...the whole
world in one little ring with its personalities, idiosyncrasies and stories.
Why don't I show more? I guess until recently it was because it's supposed to
be fun, and as soon as someone found out I had a lot of import lines it was one
insult after another, including when I was in the ring. This is grown-up
behavior for dog showing? I took my money to other venues and gave it to them.

I am going to show my latest boy, though, and I can say it is directly from the
courtesy shown me by 3 members of the German Shepherd Dog Club of Southern NH,
Emily St. Hilaire, Wendy Luba and Karen Harmes, plus a few of the long time dog
people on this list, including a couple of our wonderful admin's, who I REALLY
respect who took  time to tell me "Just Do It, you big baby!"
 It's people on this list who changed my initial impression of the AKC show
world, and are now very important to me.

2. Some of the best and brightest people in the breed are on this list...names
I've read in all the GSD books...people instrumental in bringing in new blood,
invigorating, refining, improving the old blood...judging, handling,
breeding...how could I not want to rub "typos" with them? Some have even
written to ME!

3. I like to compete...in show, performance, frog jumping, grass growing... if
there's a "prize" at the end, I like it! I like AKC, UKC, SV, KNPV, WDA, USPCA,
 ABC, NBC, Fox and Friends...oops.

4. I LOVE that the GSDCA has embraced the GSDCA-WDA and garneredthe support of
the AKC, while still keeping the American way of showing intact. That is so
incredible...these are the kind of people I want to learn from.

Even though our major success comes in the Police world, if I do not show our
dogs I will become blind to my own prejudices. Putting our dogs "under the gun"
in the ring forces me to pay as much attention to correct structure as I do the
mind when it comes to picking dogs to breed, and letting the great minds, but
not as great structure, go and "keep our families safe" in police work.  I have
shown under a few great judges and appreciated their words to me, and shown
under a couple and gotten stretched as a person, growing past their snottiness
and haughtiness without responding in kind.

And, as Edie so aptly put it:
" 'Outcross' isn't a bad word and neither is 'competition'."

Rachel & the "American/Canadian/German/Dutch/Belgian/Czech that are now part of
the American bloodlines" Ark!
"The dog/horse can read from the glance of the trainer the state of the
trainer's soul..." Max v Stephanitz
http://segensreich.homestead.com
http://www.workingdog.org
 V1 Randy SchH3, IPO3, TC; V Ambra KNPV-PH1; DDR Ingo, SchH2; Bondi, CS, ZVV1,
CGC; Cegen, OFA Excellent, SAR Tracking K9,  CGC, TC, HIC; ,Apollos, SAR
Airscent K-9, CGC, HIC; Nick, TC; Bandit BH TC AKC Blues SAR Tracking, Hilde
CGC TC AKC Blues; Police K-9s Fritz, Noah, Granit, Kai, Ninja, Falcon, Dax