[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: genetic combinations

  • From: "edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx" <jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 02:24:53 +0000 (UTC)

There is no right bloodline combination that always works.  In the 80's I bred
two champion sisters to the same dog. One and her progeny lived to ten or older
with no problems. The sister produced autoimmune. masked in so many diseases
that it was a few years, before we even realized that it was all autoimmune
related. Most of her progeny were dead by five. So was this a successful
combination or a disaster? If only one of the bitches had been bred to this
dog, we would have had a definite answer.
 Ann www.edangsd.com Home of AOE Am Can Ch GV KOBE
RN,BN,CD,TC,CGC,TDI,CHIC,ROM,   AOE Sel Ex Ch Gilley RN, TC, ROM , AOE Sel Ex
Ch Maxwell RN, TC, and Sel Ch MmmMmm Good, #1 dam Muggles, Breeder-owner 0f 106
champions and 26 ROMs. Proud receipient of Lloyd Brackett Award

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:07 PM, Linda Terry <jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Just curious.  People have talked about sharing knowledge of what combinations
of lines work well, work badly, produce whatever, etc., etc.  I think German
breeders have access to this kind of knowledge for their dogs, but isn't that
because they have "overseers" for the breed who study this, evaluate dogs, and
disseminate the info as needed?  (please tell me if I've misunderstood the
German way)
Who do we have here with our American dogs that can provide any thing like that
at all except perhaps some of the breeders who have been breeding for 30 years
or more?  Even then, if they live on the East Coast, would they be totally
familiar with West Coast lines?  And how many breedings of "A" line dogs with
"B" line dogs would it take to suspect that there is a recurring problem?  Does
any breeder do that many breedings of A to B?  Is the stud dog owner going to
collect information from every breeding to know what problems and what good
points were produced?  And how many puppy buyers (even though encouraged to do
so) keep in touch with the breeder to let them know that their puppy had minor
problems or even that the puppy lived to be 15.

--
Linda Terry
etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPuppy?ref=shop_sugg&; Jolis