[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gas

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EJDegen@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

I really don't think you can compare Germany to the USA Look at the size
difference.
Terry
EJDegen@xxxxxxx wrote:

The gas prices are horrendous. I can't stand paying more than $2.50 a
gallon. However, we really don't have it bad, folks. Gas in Europe costs 2 1/2
times what we're paying. If we look at inflation, gas has not increased
greatly.

The cost of gas is going to affect not only our dog showing but the way that
we live. In Europe, very few teenagers/young adults have vehicles. Many of
my friends in Germany only had one vehicle per family. If they had two, one
was a "family" vehicle (like a small minivan or large station wagon for
going to dog shows) and one was a VERY small gas efficient run around car (like
SmartCar or little VW). My friends that had kids still at home (even in
college) wouldn't have considered adding another vehicle to the family for
them.
The kids used public transportation and a lot of bicycles. Our public
transportation in this country is going to HAVE to improve. When prices started
to go up last year, my husband traded in his new gas guzzling F250 4X4 for a
little manual shift Nissan Sentra. We've regretted not having the pickup a
couple of times, but not enough to pay the gas bills for it.

The fact that we don't have cheap gas anymore, has affected at least MY dog
showing. I was going to take my RV to a herding trial but I cancelled
because it would have cost over $400 in gas alone. It's not worth 2 days of
showing. Even if I drove my van, it would cost $200 in gas plus hotel expenses
plus I'd have the inconvenience of not having the RV (meals out in restaurants,
etc.). We are looking at trials for this Fall/Winter and I'm picking trials
that I can either carpool with a friend or not need the RV (near home or
friends/family).

My German friends think we're crazy when they hear how much we drive to go
to shows and the mileage I put on vehicles last year traveling. I think
they're right.

Julie Degen

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original