[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: futurities etc.

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:58:55 -0700

Actually I am not impressed with numbers of litters.
I would be MORE impressed if actual numbers of Chs or OTCHs were listed per
each litter, and how the overall percentage of CHS / OTCHS bears out ,
against HOW MANY litters were sired l.    You may have a dog that took 10
breedings to get his ROM, against a dog that took 65 breedings to get
it...and with that 65 breedings had fut /mat entries that won...
If you have a dog that has sired sixty, seventy or 100 litters and sired avg
of 6 pups per litter, then having 30 Chs is not very impressive.  30 or so
out of potentially 300 to 600 puppies is pretty unimpressive , numbers
wise.
If you have a dog that has had 10   breedings and has sired 10 or 12
champions, then percentage wise the dog is more prepotent, and his breedings
more successful.
Likewise the "top" futurity sires, if they are overwhelming the system by
sheer numbers then common sense would say they will take more overall small
points....but a dog that has only a few entries into the Fut system but a
big win , may not rank as high point wise.
This is a problem.  The Futurity System and the Redbook do not give you
numbers that reflect correct percentages of success based on numbers of
breedings.  If it takes you 40 or 50  breedings to attain what it took
another dog  only 10 or so (just for example)\
then your stud dog should rank lower, not higher.    If a stud dogs overall
volume of breedings is high, (and noted whether puppies from litters were
ever shown or were disasters)  it should and he sired the same amt of "point
earners " as a dog who had few breedings, then I believe the  dog with the
fewer breedings (higher percentage of earners) should prevail.

I don't think a dog should be ranked according to the sheer numbers of
breedings resulting in wins...quite the contrary, I think the dogs that have
the fewest breedings and the highest percentage of title holders (based on
number of breedings ) should rank highest.
It means a LOT more to see a dog that has been bred very little that has
progeny in every litter that have attained something as a qualifier or Fut
winner, than a dog that has had 100 breedings that has many litters with
complete messes, complete losses, or where many puppies where never shown.
  As far as dogs defeated, take some of the "flavor of the day" dogs, with
breedings approaching high double or triple digits or more, and add up the
little piss ant futurity points because there are SO MANY puppies on the
ground....the small futurity points do count, even when Mr Wonderful has
progeny only winning over 7, 8 or, 9 dogs....do the small shows enough it
does add up.

Percentage of qualifiers, based on least number of breedings   should be
rewarded and encouraged.

http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
PUP-DATED:  MAR 1, 2009
HOME OF:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WE SUPPORT DRUG AND DYE TESTING