[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: from the Reuters site...........tim Russert

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:19:26 -0700 (PDT)

For the first time in my life time I have really been into the National
Politics scene ( I've even given money)...I have watched Mr. Russet on MSNBC
almost every day...The news was very shocking...especially since I'm over
weight and 54....none of us are here forever...thanks Peggy
Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Tim Russert, a leading U.S. political correspondent
and host of the NBC television network's long-running "Meet the Press" talk
show, died on Friday of a heart attack, the network said. He was 58.

NBC interrupted programming for a special report by former anchorman Tom
Brokaw, who said Russert collapsed and died at work in NBC's Washington
bureau after returning from a trip to Italy with his family.

A network statement said he died of a sudden heart attack while
pre-recording a segment for this Sundays "Meet the Press" program.

Brokaw told viewers 2008 "was one of the most important years in Tim's life.
... He loved this political campaign. He worked to the point of exhaustion
so many weeks."

U.S. President George W. Bush and the two main candidates in November's
election to succeed him all praised Russert.

Russert, who took over "Meet the Press" in 1991 and oversaw a rise in the
Sunday program's popularity, was known for both tough questioning of
American political figures and a cheerful television persona.

Now in its 60th year, "Meet the Press" is the longest-running program in the
history of television, NBC said. Russert took over in December 1991. Time
magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world this
year.

He was a political analyst for "NBC Nightly News" and the "Today" program,
and anchored "The Tim Russert Show," a weekly interview program on the CNBC
cable-TV channel.