[ SHOWGSD-L ] from Helen Franklin

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:21:03 -0700

I have judged 4 National Specialties and been elected to judge an additional
two.  I am a founder of the AOE program and have worked 3 years on the AOA
program that is just waiting for another name.   AOA would be a huge amount of
work, about 4 or 5 times that of AOE since the requirements
include everything AOE is except the Select.  It's an award to honor the "total
dog," one with a Championship, OFA, Training Degree and Temperament
Certificate.  A high honor, yes indeed.  After all, "Select is only one persons
opinion on one day."  Today I informed the club president that I no
longer wish to be a part of this program or any other for that matter.  Perhaps
those that complain can now take it over and do all the work.  I also cancelled
two judging assignments.  I have decided that spending my valuable "left over
from work time" with those that love me and those I enjoy
is much more appealing.
Believe it or not, there are a "few" judges that can make decisions in a timely
manor, and I am one of them.  I judge each dog according to the standard, not
according to their stamina.  This may be good, this may be bad, but what you
saw was honest judging with great results.  Each handler was
given instructions to show the dog on a loose lead on the long white wall.
Some popular dogs have never been seen on a loose lead and fell apart.  I do
wish that I had not made my decisions so early in bitches and had worked the
handlers and bitches more....for you!  But, we have had judges that
gave a top title to dogs with serious problems of motion (going away), not take
the dogs out of catalog order, lose whole groups, put groups together and
forget who was the first dog and who was the last....etc.  My ring steward made
a mistake and sent out a group of dogs already judged, she's
human.  All the stewards did the worlds best job.  I thank them deeply.  I also
thank you for this wo
 nderful opportunity and hope you enjoy your new GV and GVX.  I am so proud to
be a part of their careers.
Best wishes,
Helen