[ SHOWGSD-L ] from Gustavo Molinari via Corinne NeeFalicia (dog show fire)

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:51:09 -0500

From GUSTAVO MOLINIARI re the Fire today PLEASE REPOST
by Corinne NéeFalicia on Monday, February 21, 2011 at 8:02pm
I've just spoken with Gustavo and he has asked me to relay the following
information about the fire at his truck in Santa Clara today.
Gustavo was in the ring when the fire at his truck broke out.  He handed his
exhibit off to someone ringside and ran to the scene at full speed.  That
exhibit was never shown.  He suffered significant burns on his hands from
pulling crates out of the truck and fighting the fire with the extinguisher he
had on board.  A parking attendant also suffered burns on his hands from
pulling crates out of the truck to get dogs to safety.  EVERY SINGLE DOG was
saved from the fire, and was pulled from the truck.  However it is with great
sadness, Gustavo reports that one dog had to be put down after the fact.

At the time the fire broke out - Gustavo's assistant was at the truck - at no
time, as is his habit, were dogs left unattended at his setup.  I can tell you,
Gustavo keeps impeccable care of the dogs in his charge, and the safety and
happiness of those dogs are his first priority - over anything and everything.

I can tell you that Gustavo is absolutely devastated by this incident, and the
tremendous sadness in his voice is palpable.  He asks you each to kindly bear
with him as he regroups - and for the time being we have shut down his facebook
page to allow him a breath to recover from this horrible incident.

This was a new rig for him - and the fire, according to the fire department's
preliminary report, began in the engine.  The picture no one has - was the
scene after all was said and done -roughly thirty fire extinguishers around the
truck.  EVERYONE dropped what they were doing and helped.  It is my editorial
opinion that the heroism started with Gustavo and that parking attendant and
extends to every single individual who set their own priorities aside to
assist.  Dog people are AMAZING.

I can tell you without equivocation that I would place a dog in Gustavo's care
tomorrow with complete trust and confidence in him.  I know those of you who
love and respect him would do the same.  If you see him, please tell him how
much you support him and care about what happened to him.  I think it would
mean the world to him as so much conversation has occurred - errant
conversation - that is far from the facts of the situation.

There have been incidents like this over the years and Gustavo should be
commended for doing absolutely everything to save every dog.  The outcome could
have been much different in another set of circumstances.

You have my permission and please do repost on Facebook and in email or the
lists out there -  this note to anywhere this is being discussed - as it is a
factual account of what has occurred and the truth needs to offset the
misinformation that is out there.

Many thanks

Corinne