[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: friend with a GSD puppy problem

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <crudolf@xxxxxxx>, <SHOWGSD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:36:02 -0500

Christiane, if your friend has no idea what the decrease amount and quantity
should be, why hasn't the friend called the puppy's vet who prescribed the
Prednisone in the first place?  If the directions for tapering off the
Prednisone dosage are not on the prescription bottle, there should have been a
discharge sheet with the instructions.

Your friend is not a vet and can not judge whether or not the puppy is being
"overdosed" based on his symptoms.  Increased  urination is just one of the
common side effects of Prednisone.  So is being "wired."  Just because her
other dogs have never experienced these symptoms while on Prednisone is not
relevant.  Every dog is different...   I had a cat with asthma who needed to be
dosed with Prednisone on a routine basis and, every time, I had to peel that
cat off the ceiling.  (I'm only half kidding.)  But, the cat was not being
overdosed.

If your friend feels that concerned about the puppy, she should get him to a
vet ASAP.  Please don't tell her what to do about the Prednisone dosage based
on answers you get from a list.

Now for a little "lecture" on Prednisone for your friend and, perhaps others
who may read this...

Prednisone, while widely prescribed, is nothing to mess around with.  Whatever
one does,  they should absolutely never, ever stop Prednisone abruptly.  No
matter how severe the side effects.

When Prednisone is stopped abruptly, the body may go into an Acute Adrenal
Crisis, which is a *life-threatening* condition that occurs when there is not
enough cortisol being produced naturally by the adrenal glands.  Prednisone
effectively "turns off" the natural production of cortisol while it is being
administered.  That's why the dosage of Prednisone must be tapered off.

Also, when Prednisone is stopped abruptly, the body can not respond properly to
stessors.  By stressors, I mean injuries, surgery, illness, extreme exercise.
A dog or human could easily experience dire consequences in these situations --
such as death.

Well, enough about the dangers of Prednisone...  Christiane, please tell your
friend to call the pup's vet tomorrow or take the pup to an emergency clinic
today.  And, tell her good luck with the puppy.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam