[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: forgive me I'm learning

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:10:24 -0700

 Ok, so I don't have a butcher in this area, where else can I get these raw
beef marrow bones? Those of you who feed raw, where do you get your chicken
backs, etc?   I  believe I was told not to freeze the bones, to keep them
from splintering? So,  when you buy A LOT, how do you storage it? Just
curious.

 Ileana

Paul adds...

We don't do the marrow bones very often, but the head of a supermarket meat
dept. can order those bones in for you.

Freezing bones will not cause them to splinter but cooking will. We do
chicken 1/4's or thighs. We pay anywhere from $.39 to $.79 a lb. I have
several markets in the area that will sell me chicken by the case so you
have fewer packages and it saves the checker time by keying in the case
price instead of having to scan each package. Markets like FoodsCo and
Savemart always have frozen 1/4's at good prices. Those same markets also
have kidneys, heart, beef back bones, and turkey legs as regular items.
Earlier this week I bought 50 lbs. of back ribs for $.88 a pound. Lots of
meat and the dogs love the bones. I do cut them on my table saw to make the
portions smaller and easier to store but ya don't have to.

We're currently feeding 12 a raw diet. It takes us less than 10 minutes to
put it all together and the bowls actually shine they've been licked so
clean.

Paul