[ SHOWGSD-L ] for the New Year...a sweet and true story...

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:45:47 -0500

Here is a sweet story for the New Year...not about German Shepherds, but
they could be...

from Peggy, with tears in my eyes...

(by Lisa M,  TriBeaglesRescue Board member, Intake Coordinator, and Foster
Mom; reprinted  with permission)
On Friday, December 28th, TriBeagles took in two dogs from the Durham Animal
Shelter.
Margo and Gypsy are two very special dogs. Margo is seven years and  Gypsy
is
18 months.
Margo and Gypsy are two of 1100 dogs rescued from a Hillsville Virginia
Puppy
 Mill bust that occurred in early November. This was one of the largest
Puppy
 Mill busts ever in the United States. These dogs were removed from a life
of torture by hundreds of volunteers working for Animal Protection
Societies,
SPCAs, and Humane Societies up and down the East Coast.
The Durham APS took in 30 dogs from this Puppy Mill bust. All but three were
dogs and puppies that were small and fluffy in the toy breed category. There
were three beagles in the group, though. One of the beagles got a home
directly  from the Shelter. The other two, Margo and Gypsy did not. These
two girls
are  shy and did not present well in a Shelter environment. The Durham APS
asked  TriBeagles to take these two deserving dogs into our Rescue.
The girls are at my house and I want to tell you about their first hour or
so
 of freedom. People often only see Rescue dogs at the end of their stay in
foster  care as they are headed off to their new homes. Here's a peek into
the
beginning  of the process. :) Maybe I should entitle it: "Why I foster".
These are dogs whose entire lives have been spent in filthy cramped cages,
being bred for money. For Margo, it was for the entire seven years of her
life. They went from the Puppy Mill to the Animal Shelter and while the
Shelter
staff was kind to them, it was still a Shelter; loud, lonely and
frightening.
My daughter, Caitlin, who is home from college, went with me to the
Shelter.
The staff had all the paperwork ready. Everyone who works there was  excited
that these two girls were going to Rescue.
They brought the dogs out to the front. Margo sat like a statue, frozen.
Gypsy skidded on the linoleum floor and freaked out. She peed everywhere and
then sat down in it, shaking. Neither of them would walk on a leash, so we
carried them to the car and put them in the crate for our trip. Both dogs
threw  up
as we headed home.
Once home they both received baths, had ears cleaned and nails  trimmed.
Both
were clearly worried about the grooming but were cooperative. They  met my
personal dogs, which went well. My dogs are always very welcoming of new
fosters.
We took them outside into the fenced backyard. My yard is heavily wooded
with
 lots of great spots for beagle sniffing. They would not walk down the four
steps  off of the deck. We carried them into the yard. We placed them on the
grass.  They both stood there frozen and unsure of what was expected of
them.
Then it happened. It happened in a instant, a wonderful glorious instant.
They both put their heads down and sniffed the ground. They looked back up
at
Caitlin and me as if to say: "I can't believe we are outside..free!" And
they
took off running!!
They ran around every inch of the yard. At one point, Margo was leading a
beagle zooming line of seven dogs all over the yard. They grabbed sticks and
tossed them with abandon. Gypsy found a stuffed toy, her first, and tried
bury it. Their sheer joy at being outside and free to just be a dog made
Caitlin and me sit down and cry. It was a wonderful moment and it's only the
beginning for two sweet dogs.
Happy New Year from Margo and Gypsy!