[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: for Peggy M.

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:00:06 -0700

AHhh Ed........now you really know how to hurt someone that recently bragged
about a Best In Futurity!
<G>
Seriously.....I like Peggy's idea of younger puppy classes for the shows.   She
is right...there are hardly
any Matches and it would be nice to show our pups younger just for the
experience and it likely would
increase entries to help A.K.C.     Maybe just not count the really young puppy
classes for points for the
W.D. or W.B.......because technically that could make a lot of majors for dogs
that hardly competed against
any adults.    <G>     Interesting idea that I kind of like though!!
I know at times we all have a young pup at the end of a show season and it
would be nice to get it into
a show for a learning experience....... without waiting for months before the
shows start up again.
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com
  From: "Cynthia VanDenBerge" <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  Well, I think that this post is just plain mean....considering that there are
several on this list who have recently and proudly earned this title. What
Peggy says may be true..to a degree, but why attempt to take away someone's
joy? What's the point or reason for this?   I just don't get people anymore.
I am glad that my dogs have better character and sensitivity. Cynthia

   Original Message -- From: "Peggy Mickelson" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>  Subject:
AKC's Grand Champion title

  you have to start with the knowledge that this award was never ïintended to
mean anything ... the
  idea was conceived as a way to bring more money into AKC.
  There was never any secret about that.    As originally conceived, a dog
who'd finished his or her
  championship could get to be a Grand Champion without ever beating another
special.   Nothing is
  required now in the way of wins  best of breed win required, nothing). ..just
keep going and going
   until some judges give you enough Select awards   (that's what they call
them...select awards)
  and somewhere along the way, get one of those when another champion in the
ring doesn't get one...so
  you actually beat a dog.
  The points counted toward a GrCH are not accumulated until your dog is
already a champion...the points
  garnered along that way don't count anymore.
  However, the amount of points awarded for a Grand does depend on how many
points were awarded
  in the classes on that day.

  It's a rather stupid award, considering that it means nothing except you
could afford to keep showing
  and showing your dog until it had enough GrCH points, and there are many,
many people in this country
   who think the title is a joke.   On the other hand, there are people who are
trying like mad to get the title...
  even if it took them 3 years of constant showing to finish the dog in the
first place.

  When it was a hot topic of discussion on the Judges' list, a fellow from New
Zealand, where they claim
  to have instituted the original award,said, and he made no bones about it,
that the Americans had
  made a mess of yet another thing.............it was quite funny.

  Anyway, it was supposed to make money for AKC by increasing entries...
  (they should have put 3-6 or 4-6 month old puppy classes in instead...that
would probably really have
   increased entries, since matches are so rare these days).
  So, now, in addition to getting some kind of certificate, the first 10 dogs
in each breed to attain the title will
  get another one of the AKC's chintzy medallions............

  You should know, too, that if a judge doesn't make the Select awards, he or
she will get a letter from AKC
   asking for a written explanation of why not.
  So much for it being discretionary..........what a joke.

  Peggy