[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: flights

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windvane@xxxxxxxx>, <EJDegen@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:00:09 -0500

The location of the herding trials is not going to be in Concord, it will
entail a drive of (if I recall correctly) about an hour.  I will check my notes
when I get home tonight and report back, unless someone who is familiar with
the details is able to provide them sooner).

From: "Windvane" <windvane@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/02/11 Fri AM 11:56:04 EST
To: <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,  <EJDegen@xxxxxxx>,
        <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: flights

what is the snag with the herding at the nationals? I missed that?

Emilie C.Woodruff
Windvane Kennels
5877 Gardi Road
Kamloops,B.C.
V1S 2A1 Canada

http://www.geocities.com/windvanekennels

From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
Date: 2005/02/11 Fri AM 09:41:51 EST
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] flights

Charlotte is a *MAJOR* hub for U.S. Air.  There are 120 cities  served
NONSTOP from the Charlotte airport by a variety of airlines.   So what's the
problem
that people are having THIS year?

U.S. Air is still a reasonably priced airline for traveling with  pets.  It
still costs $100 each way for a German Shepherd in a 500  varikennel.  We
are
currently living in the southeast U.S. (Savannah  area).  I didn't have time
drive to OR and with the cost of gas, it was  cheaper to fly anyway.  Cassie
& I flew U.S. Air to the national,  connecting through Charlotte.  No
problems.

When we lived in Germany, U.S. Air was my airline of choice because their
price for pets and people was often the lowest I could find and U.S. Air
always
took good care of the dogs.  I also think Northwest does a great job  with
dogs, but they've priced themselves out in my opinion.  I won't use  them
again
with dogs.  BTW, the first year they raised their prices for  pets, I
complained and took it up the chain.  They gave me the old price  for the
dogs, but it
was a one time deal.  That was the last time that I  used them.  It was too
expensive flying 3 dogs back & forth to Germany  with their new pricing
scheme.

NO ONE *likes* to have to take 2 flights (through a connecting airport),
but
that's life and traveling.  We've lived overseas several times and I've
flown my dogs all over the world with me.  My choice is always to drive if
I have
the time, but I won't hesitate to fly again if I want to get somewhere
fast.
 If you don't want to fly, then drive.  If you don't have the  time to drive
and you don't want to fly, then good luck.

I wouldn't mind seeing a centralized national, indoors OR outdoors.  I  also
don't mind it moving around the country.  I do think it's rather  silly to
hold the national in a "corner" of the country, it DOES  make sense to make
it
more centralized (Utah for a west coast national,  MO/KS for central; OH,
KY,
NC, GA for access from the east coast).  I believe that we'll have larger
entries.  But then, I'll  still fly or drive to get there regardless of
where it's
held.

Julie Degen