[ SHOWGSD-L ] first time buyers of show dogs

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:02:41 -0800 (PST)

Mom bought her first GSD from a start up breeder.  He won one class and she was
hooked.  But then she got books and started reading.  She also showed her first
dog some more and discovered that he had faults that were not worth showing him
for.

  She contacted other breeders in the area and started a dialog with them.  She
spent untold hours just chewing their ears off and getting them to talk and
talk and talk, not hard as we all know.

  She studied the books and the pictures in the books.  Then, after about 6
months of study, she bought one, then another, and then 2 more.  All from
Jackie DeBernardo.  One had to be spayed for pyro, back then that was all that
could be done.  She went to a friend and lived a long fat happy life.  The next
became a foundation bitch but was not a show dog herself.  The next 2, sadly
one was placed on co-ownership and was hit by a car, the other was lovely, but
HATED shows like you could not believe.  She was bred 3 times, but none of her
lovely progeny was ever given the money needed to finish as Mom was no athlete
and I was barley tall enough to walk these dogs.

  It was by spending time with quality breeders, Lorraine and Jackie, and going
to shows, it was by listening and investing her time and reading that she was
considered good enough to sell a quality dog to in the beginning.

  More recently, she recited her history to Cappy and she and Gloria sold
Elaine a very nice prospect.  Cuz had his issues and timing was not so good,
but he is 8 1/2 and still moves well, and she is proud of his major and 7
points.  He helped her gain entry to the world of Tom C who had a bitch bred by
Ellen M.  Cyble is finished and awaiting her first breeding and litter.  She
must get back to Ellen first, things being what they are.

  It can take as much as 30 years if other life issues get in the way, but Mom
had patience and love of the breed.  She owns a champion.

  It can be done.

  I have patience and love of the breed.  I grew up at the feet of so many
breeders, and my mom.  She had to force me to stay home, from the start.

  Now, 30 years later, I am putting my education to work for the first time.
My first breeding.
  sheila
http://mail.yahoo.com