[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: fires

  • From: Terry Cochran <terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

Add to that the band on logging for even the removal of dead trees. Mother
natures cure is fire!!!  The only thing to do is get out of the way. There is
no stopping this. Kent and my son fought fire here several years back. It
started only 4.5 miles away and ended up burning for 6 weeks. Now 8 years later
there are still places that the trees have refused to make a come back. In a
fire that is as hot as the one in Colorado the trees explode throwing fire as
far as 5 miles away. Kent timed a tree where the fire was lapping at the bottom
and it took less than 15 minutes from the time it started until the tree
exploded.  We are lucky we live on the Metolius River we have fire pumps that
set up a water wall. We have sprinklers on the metal roof that  can be turned
on to soak the roof. They also cool the house in the summer. That hasn't been a
problem so far this year. I am betting it snows on the 4Th of July.

Prayers are with the people of Colorado Springs the pictures on the news are
very scary. We have many friends that live there and we are hoping that they
are safe.

Terry