[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: fine line

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <hollywoods@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:20:40 -0500

This is a most interesting question - but -  the words concerning when "we
must draw the line"
on when it's Ok to bite and not Ok to do so, are challenging!  There are
differences in the "when"!
"Drawing the line" -- for YOUR interests needs to be "training" vs instincts
as circumstances come
into play big time.
I had a set of encylopedias that burned with my home that I've never been
able to replace.
There were 16 volumes and they were about creatures of all kinds.  I did
spend more time
studying the dog volumes than all the others put together.  Knowing me, a
lot stuck in my mind
concerning them.   I'll never forget the part about assistance dogs and the
best breeds for same.  It
said that many will "without question" obey their trained minds.  There
weren't many who would
go beyond the training and act on their own in a circumstance of danger to
the human or to another
animal, or a hazard that is not picked up by the human but the dog perceives
the need to act beyond
their trained personna.   The German Shepherd Dog was noted as the most
alert to the need to act
instinctively against "training".   However, depending on the strength of
the human's bond or whatever,
control of the dog can be automatic.  This, at times, could really be bad if
it counteracts the situation's
need for an opposite behavior.    I hope this makes sense to you because
there is control and there is
leniency (sp.) and crossing that line should, when talking of "man's
helpmate" shouldn't happen.  So,
it is up to the human to decide how to handle any given situation depending
on training or lack of same.
Therefore, "drawing the line" should be an individual choice depending on
the circumstances involved.
Norma no L