[ SHOWGSD-L ] fairly heavy for a light post.

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:15:24 -0400

(adapted from an article in the Watley Review and submitted for those
who can read..................by Peggy)
I stride into my Office this morn to find a most Pungent and familiar
Odor pervading the place. It is Acrid and Strong: and at first I suspect
my Nephew's unwholesome presence to be the Culprit (possibly his Shoes).
However, a bit more Reflection refreshes my Memory and reminds me of
this most familiar smell: it is the scent of Politics, an odiferous
Harbinger of the coming Election. What fun!

Quickly I rush to my Desk and sift through my morning Mail to find the
source; and my search is not Disappointed: an Election Guide, by Jingo!
Eagerly do I open it, savoring the Musty smell of incipient Democracy.
Marvelous indeed; what a Pity that election-time comes but once a Year,
more or less.

The guide of course is a Who's Who of this year's Candidates, a social
register worth Savoring and chortling over with friends and a very fine
Port. But first there is the more Business-like matter of the marvelous
little narratives therein: the Bios and the replies to the
Questionnaire.  Reading these requires the solitude of one's Office and
some very strong Scotch.

Quickly I scan the offerings: Twenty eight (give or take) Bios!  Not so
many responded to the Questionnaire, however...still, a  delightfully
rich offering indeed. Eagerly I scan the first. Alas: its meaning eludes
me. I take a dram of Glenmorangie and try once More. The words march
before me, but I might as well be examining Linear B or Sanskrit. Three
drams then; Four! And at last, the words begin to Behave, to sort
themselves into a semblance of the English tongue.

Quite a few seem to state their support of the working dog...does that
mean Schutzhund?  Not likely...other than at two National Specialty
Shows, the American Kennel Club frowns on such activity.  A half-hour of
careful Study leads me to the inescapable Conclusion that supporting
Schutzhund would create a new lateral inverse Subdivision of a certain
higher power with an annual budget of several millions, staffed entirely
by an obscure neotropical species of Frog.

Having teased out this nugget of Truth from the inscrutable pages of the
Voter's Guide, I congratulate myself with a fresh Glass and stand to
stretch a bit. A grand and glorious day of Puzzle-solving awaits me,
twenty seven more Biographies upon which to Ruminate. With any luck, I
shall understand the Gist of all of them before Tea-time; a few weeks of
further cogitation and Research should help me understand how best to
cast my Vote in each instance. Are we not Fortunate to have such worthy
and well-reasoned Candidates to consider? Is it not Remarkable that our
members, especially those on the infamous "list," may propose such
sweeping Laws with a mere few thousand Signatures, bypassing our
overseeing body Entirely to let our public Policy depend upon the
collective Wisdom of an attentive Public?

I trust, of course, that All citizens are spending a Like amount of time
in the thorough examination of this weighty Voter's guide. Get out your
Law-books and your Glenmorangie, good readers, and cancel all your
Appointments for the next several weeks! Surely, to go to the polls
Otherwise would be unwise. Don't you think?

Of course, if you have not yet received your Ballot and the accompanying
Biographies and Replies to the Questionnaire, it does not matter.  The
Powers-that-be say you are able to Vote, and They Must Be Right.  So,
Ballot and accompanying Literature notwithstanding, it is too late.