[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: fading pups

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 13:31:09 EDT

HI, this is what I got from my vet after  describing the symptoms of these
puppies and their mother...Syd

The  â??toxic milkâ?? diagnosis makes little sense, but putting the litter on
antibiotics  to cover a possible bacterial problem seems justifiable. It is
certainly true  that the lochia discharge is going to be full of bacteria and
that
this is  generally not a problem. I have seen puppies consume lochia and
consume overtly  mastitic milk with no problems whatsoever. So long as the
bitch
is not overtly  ill, it seems unlikely that any of these secretions contain
problematic  bacteria. Nevertheless, antibiotic prophylaxis is prudent in this
case.
The  most likely source of the problem is the bitchâ??s behavior. She is
probably not  taking good care of the pups. In this situation it is likely that
some
of the  pups are not being well fed. (Was milk present in the necropsy?)
Nervous mothers  can vacillate from being too neglectful to overly attentive to
vicious toward  their babies. Sometimes the puppy is simply smothered out of
clumsiness or  over-mothering. Detecting this on a gross necropsy can be
difficult if the  practitioner is not skilled and thorough. Even in this day of
CSI,
we cannot  always recognize the cause of death.
I  once had a client bring me 4 GSD puppies over 5 days, each of which was
found  dead mysteriously with everyone else perfectly normal. I dutifully
necropsied  each pup and because the gross pathology varied from pup to pup, my
diagnosis  was trauma inflicted by the mother. The client refused to believe
the
bitch was  murdering her babies since she seemed so â??motherlyâ?? until he
found
only half of  one puppy in the whelping area. At that point he removed the
remaining puppies  and hand raised them successfully.
Even if the pups are being well supplemented now, they may not  have received
adequate colostrum during their first feedings on mom. It is  possible to
detect this low colostrum situation by checking a blood sample on  one or more
puppies. It is not necessary to do an actual antibody measurement;  one can
infer the level is adequate if their total serum protein level is  normal.
Testing
for serum protein is cheap and easily measured in house. If they  did not get
adequate colostrum, corrective action can be  taken.
The  best one can do with newborn puppies is to make sure they are warm, well
fed,  and protected from injury. Hopefully the two puppies lost from this
group will  be the end of the problem. If another dies, a thorough necropsy
should be  performed with tissue samples taken from every major organ for
histology.  Examining the tissues at a microscopic level is the best chance of
reaching
a  diagnosis.
Keith D. Norton, DVM

____________________________________

In a message dated 5/21/2005 8:39:12 PM Pacific  Standard Time,
chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It's me  again (and thank you to all who replied on the fear issue - have
shared the  suggestions and comments with the mother).

I have a dilemma that I  hope some of you folks may shed some light on. Three
days ago I announced  the birth of a litter of 12 . I have since lost two -
an autopsy  today  in his office showed normal organs and no sign of any
disease.  I have been supplementing as the dam does not have much milk and is
very  nervous about all these pups.

Here is the problem - the vet  here in VA (small town) says she has "toxic
milk syndrome". He cultured  vaginal discharge and said it was full of
bacteria and puss. I felt that  the discharge look normal to my other bitch's
postpartum. It was pink  tinged and milky white without order. This in turn
led him to the toxic  milk diagnosis. She was x-rayed after delivery and
there was nothing left  in the uterus. He gave a shot of penicillin at that
time "to ward off any  problems". Now he has said to take her off the pup -
has given antibiotics  for both her and the pups.

My vet from PA (who I called for a  second opinion) said that he didn't think
that an office autopsy could  diagnosis many causes of death in a pup and
advised to send the pup to a  clinic/vet school for definitive workup. He
also was not aware of "toxic  milk", said all postpartum bitches had bacteria
in the discharge and it  could not hurt the pups. He didn't feel the
antibiotics would hurt and said  to go ahead of use them. He advises to put
the bitch back with the  pups.

The bitch does seem nervous and  overwhelmed by all the pups and I know this
can cause a milk  problem.

Any one with any words of wisdom out there who has had  this problem or knows
about it??

Thanks for any help you  might have to give.

Threese - Limited Edition Shepherds  (VA)

http://members.aol.com/gsdgodiva/LTDGS.html

POST  is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://www.showgsd.org

SYD MAILBERG 425-432-4144 NEW FRIESIAN PAINTING ON  WEBSITE
23910 SE 276TH ST MAPLE VALLEY, WA 98038
_http://www.kingswoodgermanshepherds.homestead.com_
(http://kingswoodgermanshepherds.homestead.com/)