[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: facts for you

  • From: T O'Brien <t.m.obrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:06:55 -0800

Facts for one person, for another may be personal opinion--as personal=20
opinion for one may be "facts" for another.

Just some thoughts

tom

Nancy Harper wrote:
> Dear List,=20
> I am sending this email because I would like to try and elevate some of=
 the anxiety and rumors that are now circulating.   =20
> The reason the Board met last night was to DISCUSS the problems that ha=
ve reared their ugly heads in relation to the current election.  Some of =
those problems are:=20
> 1) Canadians not receiving ballots=20
> 2) Ballots being returned to the voter=20
> 3) 6 different sets of instructions sent to the "list" on the "proper" =
way to handle ballots after=20
>     the return of same. (some instructions sent by  unauthorized person=
s).=20
> 4) The concern the Board has about the ability of Election Services to =
identify ballots even if=20
>     received. =20
> 5) Sharon's  request to Election Service to put in writing their intent=
 to count all ballots which=20
>     Election does not want to do. ( This was suggested by some board me=
mbers). =20
> 6) How the ballot company will handle those ballots where all identific=
ation has been blotted=20
>     out.=20
> 7) Our By Laws state that "all members in good standing shall have the =
right to vote".=20
> So, faced with the above, the Board Members were asked to meet in a pho=
ne conversation rather than to try and communicate by multiple emails.  D=
ue to lack of answers and follow through,  confidence in Election Service=
s has been greatly diminished and therefore, the majority of the Board th=
ought it was a good idea to have a Board Member attend the tabulation of =
the votes.   It was suggested that a board member NOT UP FOR RE-ELECTION =
would be the proper thing to do.  Sharon, as Election Officer,  was the f=
irst one asked if she could attend and Sharon stated she could not.  Bart=
 was then asked and he agreed that he would attend so that he would be ab=
le to verify how many ballots were "invalid"   Bart will not be allowed, =
per the contract, to touch the ballots or to see the actual vote, he will=
 be there to  see how many ballots are "thrown out".  It is the responsib=
ility of the Board to see that dues paying members are provided the right=
 to vote.  It is common sense to compare th
>  e number of ballots "counted" with this election to the number of ball=
ots counted the last 4 or 5 years.  Here is a situation were you have to =
use common sense as Helen Fisher has pointed out.  Yes our By -Laws state=
 the dates and terms of elections, the By - Law also guarantee the right =
to vote.  We will see how many ballots are counted.   Everyone hopes this=
 election will move forward if at all possible- no one wants to wait and =
re-do.   However, can a member(s) challenge the validity of the results w=
ith what has happened?  That also has to be considered.  There is is not =
an easy, quick solution, some will agree and others disagree.  A difficul=
t situation for your Board.=20

> Now, for the annual meeting.  It is not cancelled.  The reason is was e=
ven brought up is because the notices were not sent out in accord with th=
e By-Laws. There have been many statements claiming that the present Boar=
d has intentionally and continually broken the By-Laws to suite their own=
 agenda.   Now here is an instance - notice not out per By-Laws but, ever=
yone seems to want the Membership meeting to be held.  So does the Board.=
  Common sense needs to prevail.  So, technically the By-Laws will be bro=
ken - OK with most everyone is seems.=20

> I hope that this lengthy email has helped.  But, as Rita said in the pa=
st,  it is sometimes very difficult to get the message out there to be cl=
early understood.  Now, those that read this with an open mind, I hope th=
ey will understand what has transpired and understand that the Board has =
tried to do the right thing. If members  have questions I hope they will =
put them forth with an honest desire to "hear" & simply not just automati=
cally condemn.  For those with closed minds, who have a built in opinion =
and have formed judgments, this will fall on deaf ears, and no amount of =
information will satisfy them - I hope this doesn't happen.   ( I have wo=
rn the word "hope out)    =20
> Nancy Harper=20
> National Futurity Chair=20
> Board Member=20
>    =20
=3D=3D
> POST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the ori=
ginal author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS =
of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author=
  AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.=20

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN A=
NY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS =
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSL=
Y FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WIL=
L BE PROSECUTED.=20

> For assistance, please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx=
=2E

> VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org