[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: examples of why people ask for breeding restrictions

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx, Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:58:13 EST

Ruth, that's one of the really big arguments that we give to those who want
the draconian restrictions and regulations on breeders.   That the shelters
aren't full of PB dogs, and the PB rescues are extremely active in getting them
out of the shelters when they do find them there.   Unfortunately, GSDs or
GSDmixes ARE in the shelters in too big of a number.   The popular large dogs
and
now the Bullie breeds overwhelm the rescues, simply not enough room to take
them all.

However, that doesn't stop those who would stop the breeding (or ownership)
of any animal to spout statistics that appear to come our of thin air.   And
your 50% is actually too low for the mixes in shelters.   Shelter management
needs to be totally overhauled.   It has become a bureaucracy, and at the
higher
levels, a well paid bureaucracy.   And any bureaucracy feeds upon itself to
maintain itself.   They don't want to put themselves out of business.   So they
fight for more regulations that increases the shelter population and ask for
more funds to build larger, bigger shelters, and more funds for increased
wages.

I spout....

Stormy
Stormy
In a message dated 11/11/07 2:32:08 PM, rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Has anyone bothered to consider how many of the stray population is mixed
> breed - not the result of anyone's planned breeding program, be it a program
> for show/performance/or just resale. If even 50% are mixed breed, then the
> regulations on breeders are not gong to have much influence. In some areas
> with
> more affluent populations you find more purebreds, in lower income areas more
> mixed breeds. The pets in the more affluent areas also tend to be
> spayed/neutered while not so in the lower income areas. Education and
> availability of
> vet care are the reasons - if you cannot afford health care for ourself, you
> will not spend several hundred $$ to spay your dog.
>   Ruth

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
                                           Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

 See what's new at http://www.aol.com