[ SHOWGSD-L ] examples of why people ask for breeding restrictions

  • From: "Arcturus" <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:07:50 -0500

We have many times, on this list, discussed why we don't want mandatory spay
and neuter laws and breeding restrictions. Here are several examples of why
people ask ( or demand) these things from our law makers. These have all happen
in the last several weeks in my area. ( Lancaster, Pa. county....a known puppy
mill area)
   Dorothy Jocoby is a retired widow who had lost her Westie to old age. Her
late husband had given her the dog and it had brought much comfort to her when
her husband passed away. She bought a new puppy from a local puppy farmer for
$500. Someone she thought was a nice Mennonite family.  At first the Westie
seemed fine,  but a month later she was having trouble eating and opening her
mouth. Pa. does have a puppy lemon law, but the problem must be diagnosed in
the first month.  Turned out the dog had something called lockjaw, a hereditary
disorder common to Westies. The woman spent $1300. in treatment to no avail and
the puppy was put to sleep. The breeders of course won't reimburse her.
  The second person bought a bulldogg puppy for $1500. from a local farmer.
This wasn't a licensed kennel, but they had 5 or 6 females and a male bulldogg.
 Her puppy seemed fine at first, but after a couple of months developed "cherry
eye" first in one eye, then the other. Surgery for both eyes was $400.  Then a
month after that the dog came down with generalized mange. Her vet talked her
into taking the dog back to the breeder telling her that generalized mange was
hereditary as was the cherry eye. The breeder offered her $500. for
reimbursement. When she asked about the other puppies in the litter the breeder
told her most of his go to a dealer and he has no idea if any of the others
developed it or not. He also told her casually, he would treat the puppy until
she cleared up and re-sell her since there were always other people wanting
adult females to breed. She tried to tell him the dog would produce these
problems and the mange might not go away as she had treated it too and it
failed to respond. His answer was " we will see".  She was out $1000.
    Lastly,  one of the members of this list was at her own vet when she
overheard a man discussing his lactating bitch with the vet. It sounded like
the female had an abcessed mastitis .  He was more worried about how much it
would cost to treat the dog then IF it could be treated. The vet was urging him
to bring the dog in, but the guy didn't want to.  The vet comfired to our list
member that the guy was a puppy mill breeder and perhaps the dog could not be
picked up to be treated. The vet was outraged and frustrated too.
   I ask you,  why are we defending the right of these people to breed dogs?
How many of these breeders have dogs that are living or have lived in agony?  I
don't know what the answer is either, but I do know when the general public has
experiences like this, documented experiences that they can show to our
lawmakers then laws will be made to protect the public.  We need to stop
protecting these large scale breeders and start teaching our lawmakers and the
general public what a responsible breeder is and why we need them to protect
us.  JMO as always,  Sue T.