[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: evacuation law for animals

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 20:09:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/2006 7:59:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx writes:
WASHINGTON -- The House has passed legislation that requires pets to be
considered in future emergency preparedness plans.
The measure  mandates state and local preparedness offices to take into
account pet owners,  household pets and service animals when drawing up
evacuation
plans. Offices  that fail to do so would not qualify for grants from the
Federal Emergency  Management Agency.
The sponsor of the bill is California  Democrat Tom Lantos, who was moved by
TV footage of a little boy losing his  dog during Hurricane Katrina rescue
operations.
The bill was  passed 349-24.
Similar legislation has also been introduced in  the Senate.

I'm reading an incredible account of Katrina,
The Great Deluge : Hurricane Katrina, New  Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf
Coast by Douglas Brinkly.

(NOE had no plan to speak of.  It was never completed  after the trial run
"Pam".)

I too saw on AOL news the coverage of the (pet  preparedness)legislation and
honestly, although it SOUNDS good, I'm sitting here  wondering if we can't
evacuate people, what good is a "mandate" going to do for  pets?

What a debacle;(

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_