[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: entries in obedience and rally are climbing

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:46:25 -0400

    I don't know who wrote the post that Rachel responded to...but I'm
responding to it, too.
    With the exception of certain big shows and some popular clusters,
dog show entries have been falling for a few years.  Obedience may be
holding,
agility and rally have upped the numbers everywhere...and basically,
most serious show people do not order pedigrees from AKC.  AKC is
catering to the
pet people, and expecting conformation people to pay through the nose to
give more and more to support all the new programs, most of which are
aimed at pet owners.
    It all began with the multipage registration forms that replaced the
old blue slips...it cost a lot more to print those and then to process
them...and
there was nothing wrong with the blue slips in the first place.  The new
form was designed to impress pet owners, who often didn't bother to send
in their blue slips.
    The Gazette has become more and more pet oriented in recent years as
well.  Then it was possible for mixed breeds to show in certain performance
venues (part of the reason those numbers are up).
    Then there was the big push to accept commercial breeders into the
fold.--an idea that was resoundingly defeated by the conformation folks,
much
to the chagrin of the powers-that-be at AKC.
    Even micro-chipping was aimed at pet owners.  Sure, show people may
lose a dog from time to time, but the overwhelming number of dogs that get
lost are pets, not show dogs.  Don't bother to point out exceptions...I
said SOME, remember.
       The highly regarded AKC stud book was found to be pretty flawed
... and then we had the "multiple sires" rule, which, while helpful to some
honest people, was basically regarded by many as a way to get around
being ethical.  And now, we have the "who's your daddy" rule...which will
shoot to hell many pedigrees and, therefore, many breeds, because people
are already figuring ways to get away with something.
    Judges are approved who know little or nothing about the breeds they
apply for, which makes showing a total shot in the dark, and while on THAT
topic I will say that Kathy Tank's report of the German Shepherd ring
being perceived as totally political is very correct...the only thing
wrong with her
report is that many people see the entire dog show world that way.  If
Randy thinks the people who believe that are not knowledgeable show people,
he is wrong.  We have reached the point where the people with the most
knowledge know full well the show ring is as crooked as a piece of rotini...
it would be nice if they'd all admit it.

       This was never an activity for limited pockets, but you could
play and do well...not so anymore.  It was a family activity, or so AKC
kept telling us...
not anymore.  When old-timers get together, the eventual topic is always
the same "How much longer can we go on?"  Estimates vary from 6 years to
10, maybe 15 --and then the dog showing hobby/business will be  thing of
the past.

    The AKC has forbidden its judges from judging at UKC events...why do
you think that's so?  Because people see the attraction of UKC...no
handlers,
no baiting, no politics.  The new owner of the UKC is a former employee
of the AKC, and is still (I think) listed in the Judges' Directory...and
the AKC
hates him.  It's no secret...and many of these new rules are being made
to counteract the influence of the UKC...under the guise of helping us.
No way.
Our dog world is being destroyed little piece by little piece, and we
are paying for it on the way out.

Peggy