[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: enough...only one color

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:01:30 -0400

"Angie Martin" charangsd@xxxxxxx  writes:  "I have always heard once you have
sables they were hard to loose in your breeding program."

Once you have a sable, why would it be hard to "lose" sables in your breeding
program?  Breed your sable to a non-sable.  Keep non-sable offspring to breed
and voilà!  No more sables!   Why?  Because if a dog is not a sable, it does
*not* carry the sable gene.

Of course, you could get all sables in the litter or the best pup(s) could be
sable.  Or, your sable bitch/stud could be a homogeneous sable.  Then, the dog
would whelp/sire nothing but sables.  But, as Evan likes to say ...  "Not that
there is anything wrong with that."  <G>

Personally, I like dogs like my sable girl.  She's black-factored and has the
capability of producing every color.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam