[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "emergency"

  • From: "Jessica C" <stormgategsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:09:00 -0500

I would have to get the whole picture before I would want the dog put down.
I have GSD's that are great with kids, and allow my daughter to climb on
them, basically maul them, whack them straight in the face when they
irritate her, and otherwise put up with all the kinds of things kids can put
dogs through.

I can think of reasons that an otherwise sound dog would bite a child. It is
common for dogs with severe ear infections to show few actual symptoms, and
often an ordinary pet owner may not realize their dog has a problem until
they accidentally touch the ear and the dogs snaps at them. Another reason
can be an impacted or infected tooth. Painful hip dysplasia is another
reason a dog may snap at someone. Poor socialization in regards to
possessiveness with toys can easily be another culprit.

I can't imagine that the owner of this dog couldn't see this coming, if he
was in close proximity to the dog. I think most of us can recognize when a
dog is uncomfortable in a situation, and take precautions to remove the dog
from the situation before something drastic occurs.

I don't have much knowledge about the actual circumstances, but I trust the
veterinarian involved will come to an appropriate decision.

-Jessica Claus