[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: elitism and politics in the dog show ring...

  • From: TLSGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:48:55 EDT

Absolutely true!  We, too, show in both rings - our dogs usually  finish with
mostly all-breed points, add in a few (usually MAJOR) specialty  points and
then we go for the BOB wherever we can get them.  We have  owned/bred several
dogs who have done that, namely  CH Cresthaven's  Cappuccino (Group winner,
multiple group placings,multi BOB, BISS) CH  Cresthaven's  Sudden Impact
(multiple group placings, even owner-handled,  BISS) CH Cresthaven's Deja-Vu
(BISS,
Group winner) CH Donka's Viktor V  Cresthaven (specialty majors, Group
placings)
CH Victory's Leviathan (specialty  majors, multiple Group placings, Group
winner.  Now, I know no one knows or  cares who we are - basically we are
nobodies, even though we have been doing  this for 20 years, but it CAN be
done!  A
good dog is a good dog, no matter  what venue they are shown in, and good
presentation is a necessity.  We  have been fortunate to have had the knowledge
and
ability of several wonderful  handlers who know how to show off a dog.  Have
we benefited at times from  politics - probably, it does happen, not with all
judges, but it does.  By  the same token, those same dogs have been able to
win standing on just their  merit.

Terri Stout
_Cresthaven Kennels_ (http://cresthavenkennels.com/)

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the  people who treat you
right. Forget about the ones who don't. Believe everything  happens for a
reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let  it."

In a message dated 6/17/2008 11:19:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pruett@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I see  good dogs in both rings - and I find that I can sort them out in a big
or  small ring.  The truly correct GSD can handle a big or small ring and
look good doing  it.

fuel-efficient used cars.