[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: elitism and politics in the dog show ring...

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <grnram415@xxxxxxx>, <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:51:09 -0400

Quite Frankly it all depends on the judge.  An example:  Years ago I
inadvertently entered by bitch in the wrong class,  Am Bred instead of Open,
for the Atlanta Kennel Club All Breed Show. .  Jim was my handler he already
had an Am Bred Bitch .  After getting "what for"  for the error I was put to
the question. What the @#@!!!!!*#@ do you think we are going to do now"? .
Well, I asked Joan Turner if I could borrow her tennis shoes cause I was
going to take the bitch in  myself.  We stuffed tissues in the toes of Joan
shoes cause they were waaaay to long .  Entered ring with wrong clothes on
and big,   looked something like the clowns at the circus with big shoes,
only thing missing was the big red nose.  Won the class, went winners bitch.
Judge liked my bitch, he was not intimidated by the handlers in the ring. of
which there were several.   Finished her that day.   Sally Hayden gave this
bitch her first major from 12 - 18  I have a great picture of that Sally,
thanks a Lothario daughter. The very next day  saw an All Breed judge give
everything to the handler with poor dogs, she was so unsure.  Picture of my
win at the Atlanta KC is on my web site, it's old, I'll probably never
remove it. LOVE THAT PICTURE   The judge was Bill Whalen from CA.

Just this past year Lenny went in the ring at the all breeds down in
Brooksville FL with Sylvia McDaniel's nice young male.  This young male went
Breed from the Classes over Geneva with Jim.  Again a Judge that had the
confidence and the conviction he needed.  I basically agree with the person,
sorry don't remember who you were, that stated they talked to the all breed
judges afterwards./   Perhaps we all need to become more involved and
personal and personable with some of the AB judges.  Looks like we will be
having more all breeds with majors in the future.